Fly Fishing Forum banner

crawdad

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
pheasant tail antenea
brown hen for claws
brown saddle hackle
elk hair for back tied in butts first just long enough length to create spread out look at the eye of the hook
hare's ear for body
copper wire for rib over the elk hair

very simple pattern that i came up with about two weeks ago haven't had a chance to use it yet but it looks good to me

the hook points is facing the camera in the pic so the elk hair is tied on the bottom of the hook

#7 ·
Crawdad Underside

Same fly, viewed from underneath
RECIPE:
Hook: TMC 300 or equivalent (long shank)
Claws: Pheasant body tied in first, use flexament to shape the claws
Eyes: Large plastic balck, yied in second
Antenna: 3 inch long rubber hackle, medium, tied in third
Body: this is the trick;
1- close to the claws, tie in raffia, orange or light brown for the underside,
2- then tie in a hen hackle (at the base of the hackle),with lots of fiber at the base.
3- tie in 5 inches of large copper or similar wire for the ribbing
4- form a dubbing loop about 5 inches long, dub with coarse antron (I use polar bear underfur) the coarser the better for a really squraggly body.
5- double wrap the eye end of the hook with about 3/4 inch of lead or weight, leave about 1/2 inch to finish the fly, this makes the claw end of the fly suspend a little higher than the eye end when sitting on the bottom of the water in a lake
With all of this in place, wrap the dubbing shaping the fly along the shank, large to smallerthen warp the the hackle fibres for 1/3 of the fly, next pull the raffia on the underside and overwrap this with the ribbing/copper wire, leave enough raffia at the eye to create a fan shape

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.