Fly Fishing Forum banner

MA fish consumption advisory

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Here's the latest consumption advisory from the MA Dept. of Public Health. Kind of a "read it and weep" kind of thing....

#3 ·
Where is all this Mercury coming from? ,,, Pulp mill discharge, Tanneries.
We have some Lakes in British Columbia that have natural levels of Mercury in them from localized mineral occurances.
Most of our contamination has been in the salt water from the pulp industry, now halted but it takes years for it to move out of the food chain
saltRon

#6 ·
More on Mercury- including sources. I don't know about anyplace not on this list, but I'd have to assume that Horn has a history of assorted pollution sources.....

As to the Cape, there's all kinds of interesting byproducts of military activity around Bourne- not sure what if anything's down at the other end.

#7 ·
re: Cape ponds and John's Q - MOTS, if nothing much has changed from the 70's. I remember a big worry back then about acid, etc., and where it traveled from. Well, the west to east jet stream hasn't reversed direction, manufacturing and smokestacks go together and both still exist in Middle America, so any pond from here back to the Mississippi is gonna have mercury/lead/pcb/ - I better stop - I'm about to start using symbols -

Obvious point is not that much has changed. State DFW Westboro office may still have a list/rating of water quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.