Fly Fishing Forum banner

Friday night in RI

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I met up with Greg and Adrian for some late night fishing action at a favorite RI salt pond. We had the kayaks and did some exploring, but the vast majority of fish that I caught were from areas that didn't require the yak. Better to have it than not have it though.

There was too much weed and debris in the water during the incoming tide for me to fish it effectively. I took a nice blue and a few shad on a black snake fly while waiting for Greg and Adrian to arrive. There were some fish working the flats on tiny (less than one inch long) bunker during the last of the incoming, and then a lull during slack tide. Once the tide started to drop, the flats and channel popped wide open with fish working, some of which were within a rod's length of me.

It took me a while to lock into the fish, but once I did (dead drifting very sparse Ray's flies and/or a GP), the fishing was fairly steady. I even had the surprise of taking what measured to be a twenty-eight inch bluefish at false dawn on a dead drifted GP. Who woulda guessed?

Dawn itself greeted us with a smattering of small blitzes that provided easy pickings for schoolies. Once that settled down, I opted to go home and was in bed by eight o'clock.

Great as always to fish with Greg and Adrian. A great, clear night after some horrendous thunderstorms.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hit my favorite spots on Friday also on a falling tide from 2 to 4pm. Saw well over fifty fish in that time. Wind was a problem and most of the fish appeared and spooked within 40 feet of me. One back cast sent them packing. Olive and white eels had no effect. Switched to crabs and had mediocre results. Probably would have done better if the fish were swimming towards me instead of left to right from under the sun.

Phil

#4 ·
Year after year how well do the RI salt ponds hold fish well during the summer? I am a fall Rhody fisherman, occasionally hitting it in spring but typically not mid-summer with the exception of Sugar Reef from boats which I will do anytime I can.

It seems this year is a good one in South County.

#5 ·
Nice report Mark. Was out the following night and did well in the surf down that way. Ray's fly tied flat wing style was the pattern that night that did the best.

Rhody always holds fish from my experience and from what other more experienced guys tell me. The fish will run in and out of the ponds with the tides as long as there is stuff to eat. Evening into night usually provides better fishing but you can still do OK in the day. I think you are just hearing about it more cause you know a certain rhody newcomer who fishes 3-4 times a wekk :)

I am not fishing them as much right now just because I am doing more fishing in the rocks and on the beaches. There are so many different kinds of fishing to do here within 15 minutes of each other it is tough to make up your mind...

Phil the fish are still on shrimp, silversides and small sand eels like Mark found out. It seems to pay to always have gp's in olive and orange in your box, it has been my most productive fly. However the bunker are starting to show and that is changing things.

-sean

#6 ·
I agree that the salt pond fishing is usually good in the summer, with daytime providing sight fishing opportunities and and night providing the type of fishing that I've described in my report above. Fall can be absolutely ridiculous in the ponds with stripers and blues (and occasionally albacore) marauding baitfish.

Sean, I want to hit some night spots on the beaches and rocks as well this summer but with so much activity in the ponds it's tough to tear myself away from them. :wink:

#7 ·
Finally recovered from 40 sleepless hours that began with Mark and Greg on Friday evening.

The earlier storms had cleared by the time I got on the water and paddled out under a clear star-filled sky. Finding the fish was an auditory process - listen out for something that sounds like steady rainfall on the water and slowly paddle towards the noise. Mostly smaller fish 15 to 18 inches gorging on 3/4 inch bunker in 6 to 8 inches of water. Small flies and dead-drift surface presentations with the odd twitch produced results but this is not the schoolie fishing of late May that makes us all feel like experts :lildevl: These same fish become as selective as trout keyed in on rusty spinners but its a lot of fun.

It seems like there is more bait in the ponds this year than I've seen for a few years and that might auger well for the upcoming hardtail season.

I hooked up with the striper moon gang on the other side of the State on Saturday for a flycasting cook-out that was a lot of fun. Reports of 20lb+ fish being hooked (and lost) on flies in the rocks has me planning a return to Rhoddy tommorow evening :smokin:

#9 ·
juro said:
Year after year how well do the RI salt ponds hold fish well during the summer? I am a fall Rhody fisherman, occasionally hitting it in spring but typically not mid-summer with the exception of Sugar Reef from boats which I will do anytime I can.

It seems this year is a good one in South County.

Juro. It makes me wonder why I drive all the way to the elbow to sight fish. With my current situation being as it is along with the cost.....good things often come from bad. I was wishing you were with me when I saw all those fish. Forches one to fish closer to home when you are on a budget. Someone please PM me and I'll show you this fishery if you'll show me how to unravel the mystery of catching them. Sean.....thanks for the input. The salt ponds rock!

Phil

#10 ·
Phil the fish are still on shrimp, silversides and small sand eels like Mark found out. It seems to pay to always have gp's in olive and orange in your box, it has been my most productive fly. However the bunker are starting to show and that is changing things.

-sean[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sean. I need to learn how to tie the GP. Is there a post?

Phil

#11 ·
Great Night.

Hi Mark and Adrian,

It was great to get out with you guys again. I'm thinking of a getting out during the upcoming full moon for another late night. Perhaps you guys can join me. I heard about some big ones just off shore in the rocks up the coast aways, might be worth a try there. Hopefully I won't have obligations that force me to cut out before sunrise. I'll also be alittle better equiped next time out. Always a pleasure, let's do it again sometime.

Greg.

#12 ·
Hey there Phil, I will trade you a couple of gps and a tying session!

Greg, I was thinking along those lines. A full moon and clear sky on shallow water flats could be enligtening :smokin:

There are big (actually very big) fish just a little ways up the coast. Some in the rocks and some in some other places as well ;)

#13 ·
Let's do it

Hi Adrian,

Let's make tenative plans then for a night out on or near the full moon. Friday or saturday night is best for me right now. Might be able to do a week night if it's in CT, But can't stay out as late due to work commitments.

Let me know your thoughts.

Greg.

#14 ·
Friday/Saturday works best for me too for a night-time sortie. However, if the Rip trip is on 8/12 the It would have to be the Friday.

Full moon is Wednesday 9th so Friday would be closest doable night for me.

That said, the tides this coming week-end will be strengthening and the fishing should be good so I plan to be out somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.