Fly Fishing Forum banner

Heads up! A credit card scam.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Greg Pavlov 
#1 ·
This came to me through the banks internal systems so more than an ounce of authenticity. I've removed names/company/phone number here.

This transmission may contain confidential or privileged information. It is intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this transmission, or the taking of nay action based on this transmission, is strictly prohibited.

This is a consumer related alert brought to our attention by a member of the FIST Committee, as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This scam was brought to my attention by one of our employees and should be read by anyone who has a credit card. Allen

A pretty convincing scam to be aware of. My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". It worked like this: Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card issued by 5/3 bank. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?" When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say, "Yes". The caller continues..."I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 800 number listed on your card 1-800-VISA and ask for Security. you will need to refer to this Control #". Then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?" Caller then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your card. Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers; first 4 are 1234(whatever) the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3 numbers." Then he says "That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do."

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security dept. told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 WAS put on our card.

Long story made short...we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are reissuing as a new number. What the scam wants is the 3 digit number! and that once the charge goes through, they keep charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit coming, and then its harder to actually file a fraud report. The real VISA reinforced that they will never ask for anything on the card (they already know). What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word for word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up. We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said they are taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and co-workers.

Allen P---

Fraud Investigator

S---- Credit Union

See less See more
#3 ·
It must be the season. My associate just got one that claims the government was pulling the FDIC from her bank account because of undocumented cash deposits thought to be drug money. yeh, right.

I just got one that was going to give me a lt of money for just registering as the heir of a dead dictator who had no living relatives. Sure you will.

I would think that those purchases are sent to an address and catching the scam artist at the address would be a snap. Silly me.

Anyway, i have just received my patent on high modulus graphite and anyone who would like to help me enforce my new patent should send a cashier's check or money order to ............

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.