Fly Fishing Forum banner

freshwater shrimp flies for trout

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  saltRon 
#1 ·
I was wondering how you would go about fishing a freshwater shrimp pattern to catch rainbow/cutthroat trout. Can you use floating line?
Thanks,
Aaron

#2 ·
Aaron -

In the freshwater ponds and brackish estuaries of this region there are large populations of shrimp that the trout go bonkers over. They are different than the scuds more frequently seen out west. They look in fact just like little shrimp from the seafood store - but straighter. They propel the majority of the time using their swimmer fins under the tail and only do the herky jerky cupped tail thing when in being pursued. They are somewhat transparent yet have a distinct profile and it's obvious that fish love them.

When you mention cutthroat, I presume you are from the west? Can you talk a little about the conditions and species you fish?

#3 ·
Shivs Freshwater shrimp are normally fished close to the bottom, along drop offs or some form of cover. Floating line can be used with weighted fly and long leader. a hand twist of the Line is a good reterive , one twist then pause .
Sink tip lines or full sinking lines are the norm. we are talking of the PNW. area.
Good Luck
saltRon

#5 ·
I am from Vancouver BC, (southwest BC). I am really new to fly fishing, in fact I bought a very cheap $45 rod from wallmart, 8' #5 line and I am trying to make do. I went fishing a little while back in a small lake, its very public which causes a problem. I don't have a boat or a float tube so I was fishing off the beach, I tried using dry flies because the fish were feeding pretty activley on the surface(jumping etc.) but I didn't get a bite. Then I tried an olive colored nymph pattern and didn't get any bites using the hand twist method but I did get one when I retrieved it quite fast.

#6 ·
Shivs -----reply to me in the PRIVATE MESSAGE section at the bottom of the index listings. I am from North Vancouver and I will try to get you started along with your fishing adventures to what ever level you would like to achieve. If youn wish give me a phone # and we can talk without all the hunting and pecking This is a great Board and you can learn volumes about all aspects of fly fishing both salt and fresh
Tight Lines
saltRon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.