Fly Fishing Forum banner

blue fin tuna on the fly

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  artb 
G
#1 ·
What is the likelyhood of hooking up with a blue fin tuna on the fly? What kinds of patterns should one tye?

#2 ·
Sorry it took people so long to respond. Please don't often look at these boards. Do you mean around here, they are pretty slim. 100 years ago it would be pretty consistant but today is in sad shape. Best bets are to chum off the banks and use a sinking line with any large bait fish pattern. If you real want to catch one you best bet is NC. The fishing for juvy blue fin in the 75-150lbs range is pretty consistant.

#4 ·
Giving a decent day Wednesday I will be on my way offshore, for the first trip this year to search for Mako's, YBT, Mahi Mahi, and Albacore. My son has a few offshore charters coming up next week, so got to go and check out his favorite area. Was down to Quonny today, very foggy, not much activity from the beach, visibility was about 50 yards, nothing , but a few bluefish. Offshore I will be the only crazy one with a flyrod.

#6 ·
Just got home from a day fishing offshore, in the vicinity of Butterfish hole off Long Island NY. No flyrod fish, damit. One short bluefin, no sharks. On the way in, near Block Island a few large bluefish, and a couple of keeper bass, no monsters. Fishing wire in about 60 feet, that is not for me. Got to figure out a way to get a flyline down that deep. The problem is lobster gear will foul you. Tired, got to get some sleep, been going since 2am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.