Fly Fishing Forum banner

Skipjack and Mahi in Rhody!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
G
#2 ·
I don't know about the mahi, but I caught this guy right outside of Point Judith Light last weekend (see background). He fought way better than the bonito from last weekend. I did learn one thing YOU MUST LET GO of the line from your stripping finger prior to reaching the backing. Sniff, Sniff... Do you smell burning flesh? As far as technique goes We found that with the speed these fish were moving you sort of had to head them off and the once you got into range cast the fly and without letting too much slack in your line LET IT SIT! There was a charter out there with a woman that was stripping like a banshee, and we didn't see her hook up, even with the fish exploding all over their boat. All of my hookups came with the fly literally "dead drifted" I'm taking my first trip to Harker's Island, NC this fall and from what my friend said I'm a little frightened. He said " Take that little guy and double or triple his weight then land him between 15 or 20 times a day" Oh Oh I better get to the gym...

-John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.