Fly Fishing Forum banner

HELP!

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  The French guy 
#1 ·
i am new to kayak fishing and would like some advice on a good beginner boat for myself , as well as my sons , ages 13 and 12 . i am 6`0 tall and weigh 210 lbs. my boys are average for their ages. we will be mostly in small lakes with the occasional ride to the coast for some inshore and backwater fishing. any suggestions?

#2 ·
There is a huge selection of great kayaks out there now, many designed specifically for fishing. My advice for a fishing platform is to go with a sit-on-top design and then dress according to the water temperature.

All of the major manufacturers have a range of sizes from compact 12 footers (which are very nice and very functional) up to 16ft. The longer boats are faster and give you a drier ride - bear in mind that 'dry ride' is a relative term. As new models come onto the market, a lot of folks upgrade and sell off their existing boat - often at a very good price.

#4 ·
Steve -

As you might imagine, your question has been asked before. Use the "search" button on the dark blue bar above. I typed "what kayak?" in the advanced search line and on just this forum got 100 threads. Some were off topic, but many were from new entrants wanting advice. The accumulated wisdom is building up after years on this forum. Take advantage of what's already here. Note, too, that a couple of the SPONSORS of this board are kayak dealers. I realize that they're a long way from your home waters, but at least one, Billington Sea Kayak, is extraordinarily service-minded. If you were to call and mention the board, you might be able to schmooze a little and narrow your search before you start to test paddle. Good hunting.

#5 · (Edited)
Wilderness Systems

Wilderness Systems has a couple of great sit-on-tops available for fishing. The Tarpon is one of them. Don't rule out the recreational models either.
I recommend them from vast experience with their boats versus the other guys and I have found yaks for kids and my own mom (64) in their line.
They offer great designs for a little money. Dollar per degree of architecture, they have been the best value.

#6 ·
I refer you to this post I just wrote: http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?p=147613#post147613

Also, I have bought myself a Heritage Dolphin when long paddle is not requiered and high maneuverability is a must for bonefishing. I can stand on it. I would not hesitate to buy one for a 12-13 yo child. There are other good boats too. But I have never paddled them.

Serge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.