Fly Fishing Forum banner

Neah Bay this weekend...

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I will be out at Neah Bay this weekend (I already sent in my testimony to the Commissioners) as will NZ TRout Bum and several others, if you are there give a holler if you see us flailing the waters to a froth.
Be advised it's the local "Makah Days" and there will be lots of parades, dances, and groceries, probably a few speeches by local politico's too.
It will be interesting to see what kind of changes the tremendous volumes of rain have brought to the fish availability. If I had to guess I would say none because I do not buy into the old adage that rain makes ocean fish move. But then you have to remember I only have spent 30 years chasing fish around the Ocean while it was raining, so what would I know!

#2 ·
Moonlight-
I will be out there Tuesday and Wednsday.

I usually hit Sekiu as I've always had great luck with the rental boats at Van Ripers and others but have heard mixed reports regarding the rentals at Big Salmon. Could you give me any insight?

Also, I will be anxiously waiting a Monday report. Because of the fish did move in, I know where to find them. If not, off to Neah Bay I go.

Thanks!

#8 ·
Top Water at 0708!!!

Hey Chris I launched at about 0645 or at least got in line to launch. It only took me to Midway or there abouts to say "hey I don't need this sh-t" I think the weather this morning at NB was just like a regular Sitka Morning, been there and got the tshirts, time to look for another fix. Sounds like a good chance of a couple (one for sure) systems for next week to keep that swell up where I don't like it. Small boats are a good thing they keep some guys from sticking too many fish. ;)
Ryan I checked at "Big Salmon" this morning they have One rental boat reservations on the reservation are essential! The one boat they have for rent is one of the 15' Pacific Mariners that all the resorts bought back between 1952 and 1958. I mention the age as it is amazing to me that a plastic boat that is 50 years old with a 15 hp outboard can still be rented for only $100.00 for a day. :whoa:
As a matter of fact back in about 1974 Turk Markestrum the fellow who was manageing Big Salmon sold my wife and I a really good 15' Pacific Mariner for $250.00 to keep forever I suspect that boat is still being mooched out of by somebody here in Port Angeles. Our 15' worked out real well for us and a land rush started on guys buying the rest of what the resort owners thought to be there surplus and well depreciated floating stock.
On the way home I glassed the fleet working out of Seiku and my 7x50 Fujinons saw several fish being pulled so there are obviously some fish around the Point lots of boats working off Slip Point too.
NZ Trout Bum and his "dudes" were out in the teeth of it so I'm sure you will be able to get a report from today and sunday frm him in a day or two.
I stopped of at the kelp bed and gathered up some rockfish for a few dinners my wife thinks i'm such a great guy :chuckle: With gas and launch fees thats probably $15.00 a pound

#9 ·
Moonlight-
Thanks for checking! I called today and they dont have the boat available for Tuesday or Wednsday.

I guess its off to Sekiu I go.

I've never fished Neah Bay, thought I would give it a try given the consistent fishing I keep hearing about. Sekiu can be good but it also can be very sporadic.

#10 ·
Neah Bay Season Ender

Bob and I will be out there camping at Hobucks starting tomorrow (Tuesday). Will fish Tues/Wed/Thurs. Sea Bass Friday likely. maybe Saturday too. Maybe shift to Clallam Bay.

I think that Nate and a few folks will come over on Thursday too.

I'm the joker in the open Alumaweld sled. Give a holler if you see us out there.

Cheers,

-Tony

#11 ·
Looks like I wont get out there until Saturday, so we'll be fishing Sekiu that day. And if the weather is good, we'll have a rockfish day at Neah Bay on Sunday, then decide what to do for Monday... we'll probably camp at Hobuck's on Saturday and Sunday nights. Looks for us as a party of fly fishers in the 1966 blue/white Skagit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.