Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reports

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  PeteSorensen 
#1 ·
So.... nobody else is fishing?

Hmmm.... you'd think with the number of members we have, more then 10 of them would have something to contribute.

While I do not encourage anyone to post specifics on where they fished, general info, flies tips & techniques are appreciaed by all.

Roop

#2 ·
Merrimack River Mouth

Merrimack River mouth Salisbury Beach jettie. 2/3 schoolies with sand eel patterns. I was the only fly guy. You had to find a high rock on the jettie or your back cast had to be thrown high inorder to keep your fly off the rocks. I saw a few mid to high 20's fish caught by some of the bait fisherman. Good time though, I fished while the girl friend got a sun burn on the beach :chuckle: .

#5 ·
Ahhh...my dog ate my report.
Actually Roop I just got in from a week in Maine with the family on a very nice Smallmouth and Largemouth lake. But I don't evan have time to type this reply let alone a report. Will report later in the warmwater board. It doesn't help that I'm playing carpenter at night. At least I missed the dog days of the season. If there's a Rhody Clave, count me in. If not, anyone want to go camping at Burlingame this Oct.?

Lefty

#6 ·
Roop the motivator:devil: ,
I too have been away on vaca, the craptop (crappy laptop) I brought with me didn't really cut it so I'll be posting belated reports. Glad you stirred things up. We could probably all post a bit more, but as you point out it's easy to get burned if you post specifics.

Latest general tidbit I've got is P-bunker are in the Plymouth area.

Lefty, I am thinking about hitting Burlingame in the end of Sept. this year to get the best Rhody has to offer. Hardtails, Hardtails, Hardtails. A small boat or Kayak gives you a better chance at 'em.

#8 ·
problem is i have too much to report...had an awesome time down on the cape 08/03-08/11. only problem now is i've returned to work and 8000 emails, 3000 of which are marked as "URGENT".

what i wouldn't give to be strolling back from the crib right about now.

will find some time to post a brief synopsis hopefully in the next couple of days. i've got to get my pics of juro's virgin sleighride developed first though. :rolleyes:

that said, roop, thanks for the kick in the ass.

#9 ·
Yes, isn't this suppose to be the height of the New England salt water fly fishing season, or is that the fall ?

I am still digging out from vacation email backlog at work, and I have been back to work a week now ! :tsk_tsk:

Who invented email anyway ? Remember the days of central word processing ? several days to get a memo typed, then mail via interoffice or the post, and wait for a response back in 2 weeks or so. Of for the good old days at work when things were slower.

Great lakes will be heating up by end of August with the big salmon runs and then we are in prime time through november at least until the winter run steelhead show up.

#10 ·
Jeff

I defected to fresh water and re-discovered what it was like to go fishing and catch fish - (for my reports see warmwater and Q Trout). Very good reason to be on the Housatonic late evening over the next 10 days or so ;)

I had good intentions of cracking the after dark stealth approach via kayak to spooky mega-stripers in the estuary of the aforementioned river. Still have the rest of this month to do this since August counts as Dog Days - maybe this week-end ;)

#11 ·
:smokin: Last year I made the suggestion earlier than October, and no one listened. Between September 15, and October 1 the fishing is usually better, and false albacore are usually around.:smokin: I tried last year to get the RI Clave earlier:rolleyes: When we had it it was on the tail end. Don't say I didn't tell you. I will be around anyways:chuckle: I usually fish alone, but am not against taking anyone with me, most guys on the board like to strike out alone.:D

#12 ·
My eventful weekend....

Okay, lets see, I hit "F1 Boston" in the A.M. both Saturday and Sunday so my son could watch the children's go-kart racing league buzz around the tracks.

Saturday evening the family hit the 1st Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival at the South Weymouth Naval Air Station.

Sunday afternoon I really lucked out and got the chance to mow the lawn and water the gardens.:D

At this point I can't even remember where I put my fly rod, let alone how to wave it to-and-fro above my head in a productive manner.

Maybe this fall.........;)

#13 ·
Bro,

Apparently you at least have the time to doctor photos of the honorable Penguin! I know a perfect bass pond 5 minutes from where you work. Trade the tie, slacks and well shined shoes for a bandolier, bathing suit and sandals and you can be into smallies in no time flat. I used to fish there every day when I was a younger man.

Quit wishin' and go fishin....

I am taking out the raft on Wednesday night in a much needed break from the home renovation front.

September is coming and I will have some NH striper stories to tell. I only hope that Mattb will be around to fish with me. I saw a post from Matt tonight and it was the first post that I have seen from him in quite some time.

Coolio.

-Mike

#15 ·
Pamlico Sound, NC

Finally got a break from the NE wind yesterday and we got out on Pamlico Sound after 5 straight days of charters in the oyster creeks around Morehead City, NC. Found multiple schools of reds in shallow clear water and sight fished to them. Got one on a spinning rod from the poling tower while my buddy was having a problem. Switched to flies and had a great time casting small clousers and merkins to them. Eventually got out of the boat and waded along a soft sandy beach. Great day. Wind is going to cooperate the rest of the week too (or so the weatherman is telling us now).

#16 ·
I'd love to be posting fishing related reports, but I'm building points for a Clave or two in Sept/Oct. May sneak down to the 'mac a few times over the next couple weeks, and will post results.

Jim W/Terry W - count me in to join either of you on a trip to Rhody. Jim, I'm up for a an end of Sept. trip - let me know what your plans are, and I'll join ya. I'm up for some hard tails!!!!

I gotta get out and do some fishin'!

Dave

#17 ·
Dave, how's Sept. 20-22 or 27-29 looking? I'd like to squeeze a 1/2 day in on the Friday before the weekend. My anniversary is on the 13th so that one's out for me. I'm leaning towards the 20th with another trip in Oct. if I can pull it off. It would be nice if one of these were a clave.

#21 ·
Somerset Long Bay, Bermuda

Due to an unexpected snafu I was able to defect from the love boat and take a bus ride out to the northwest end of the island. After a two hour bus ride thru scenic Bermuda streets, I arrived at a much-neglected public park complete with vagrants and vandalized portapotties. I was glad I didn't have the Orvis look going ;)

The beaches are very short to deep water and you have to work to find any kind of flat. Despite this I walked right onto a spot where a few huge bones were working. Over a couple of hours, saw 9 bones, all but one being the BIGGEST bones I have ever seen in my life and the other one was above average. Four shots, one lined, two bona fide follows and one thumbed nose. Once I pulled the wading shorts out of where the sun don't shine (due to the follows from 10 pound plus bones) I walked further on up to Daniels Head Park and spotted some good sized 'cuda which were cooperative.

Cuda came pretty easy, just put on some wire and cast where they were pounding the pilchards. Awesome fight and their eyes make the bluefish stare look mild.

Those gar are nasty to get off the hook, bring pliers!

This post has cost me an arm and leg already (satellite from boat) so I'm signing off for now... hopefully a twist of fate will put me on that long ride back out to bonefish beach before this is over. There is another area called Shelly Bay that has a long shallow stretch of bank from the top of the channel to the bay itself, only about 30 mins from the dock verses 2 hours to Somerset Long Bay.

I am very impressed with the giant size of the bones here, albeit very few. I feel good to have had a few shots, all things considered. Far from a bonefish mecca, but what there is not available in quantity there is in quality.

talk soon,

Juro

#22 ·
Juro..great report...know Bermuda well...don't forget a stop at Triminghams in Hamilton... The Swizzel Inn and leave a FFF business card on the wall. Also, try to find a flyshop or fishing shop and pickup some local bone flys...You might not read this before you get home...but anyway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.