Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reports

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Whiplash 
#1 ·
Any reports out there? The chatter has been pretty quiet. No need for specifics, just a nod as to whether the fish are moving.

I was in Maine last weekend and actually found areas to fish in the big surf but the water was filthy. Took a few good waves while clinging to the rocks.

#2 ·
Not much to say for the North of Boston area...couple scattered fish in Salem Sound....not very fall like ...yet.

#3 ·
Phew and phar between...

Some of these...

...on the Cape of Cod's south side near a serious channel frequented by high speed ferries and totally clueless boaters...

#4 ·
Starting to get some chatter around Boston Harbor. Most guys are doing well at night on bigger fish and finding schoolies occassionally during the day. Snapper blues as well.

Got a report from Joe LeClair out in Buzzards Bay that he is starting to get in to some good schools of albies. Landed 10 with clients on Thursday. Here's his short but to the point report:

"They were eating well in the last couple days. I have seen enough to get psyched up to do it, and it takes a lot to get me psyched for albies."

Maine seems to be a bust so far. Jim Bernstein is reporting that he's just now starting to see some fish just slightly off shore. Says the shore fishing this year has been terrible. I tried to fish sothern Maine over the weekend and only caught a few big rollers in the face off the rocks at the Graveyard. Dangerous place to be in big surf so I called it quits after just a couple of hours.

#6 ·
RI is fishing very well and sounds like funny fish are heating up as well. Pays to be fishing in the big surf off rocks and getting soaked right now.

We have lots of mullet this year so the low numbers of peanuts have not been a big deal. Have had my best september with lots of keepers up to 20 pounds on the fly and some bigger on plugs a couple nights ago. Mullet eating stripers are a fly fishermans best friend.

Hard to be working,

-sean

#7 ·
Sean couldn't have said it any better. We've been very fortunate down this way. Hurricane Hannah put a short spin on things for the areas I fish but things have picked up and the Albies are becoming more prevalent. Like always, you have to put in the time and spending more time fishing at night can be fabulous.

Phil

#8 · (Edited)
Bonefishmon and Sean have it right.....things have turned on and we should all just gooooooo fiiiiiishiiiiiiin !

And Fred A, they just might be on my favorite flyfishing beach this weekend :) too bad you have to go to that wedding in Chatham :-0

#11 ·
Cranes Beach had all the bait ( i think small bunker) flopping on the surface you could ask for, but absolutely nothing bothering it last night.

#14 ·
North

What a strange year indeed. A buddy of mine from western NY spent a week in Maine and finally found some big fish in a well known rock fishing spot on his last day. Previous days on the York and Piscat from boat yielded only a few schoolies. Now the strange part.

Novia Scotia shops are reporting an unusual amount of schoolie striper action in numbers they have never seen before. This is as of last Tuesday. Could the fish have gone that far north? I know they get a run of big fish every year but according to the shops, they never get schoolies and never receive any fish in these kinds of numbers.

Some blitzes reported in Boston Harbor as well but on one day off the next. No consistency.

I'll be on the Cape next weekend with yak in tow searching for fish.

#15 ·
The biggest surprise for me this year is the lack of peanut bunker or should I say the current location of it. I saw a few pods of north bound peanuts maybe 3 weeks ago which was late compared to the last few years and in much fewer numbers. I also have yet to see any dropping out of the bays and rivers. The cove by my house in upper Narragansett bay is loaded with it but it hasn't even moved out of the cove. Past few years it was already making its way down the bay and getting marauded by bluefish by mid September.

Sean

#16 ·
Fished at the end of the Cape yesterday AM.

NADA from the beach in the hour surrounding sunrise....

BUUUTTTTT...lots of scattered bird activity off shore...so as the sun went above the dunes, I unloaded the kayak and paddled out to investigate. No visible fish activity, but a 20 count with the type VI shooting head produced a very steady pick of mid 20's fish...ended up with 15-20 fish in a 2 hour span..

About time, it's been a SLLOWWW year since mid June.

#18 ·
I fished the elbow Saturday night and got into fish on the second half of the outgoing around 8:30 when the moon set.

Nice steady surface action for about 2 hours. Plenty of bait and a seal snorting out in the darkness somewhere.

Deadly quiet before and after. I ran into some folks the following morning and they hadn't seen anything since daybreak.

#19 ·
Weekend report

Found fish in most CCB areas but they were moving fast. Barnstable had some schoolie surface activity close to shore in the mornings at the usual spots. There were also fish close to shore near the steeper banks at high tide.

CCB flats had lots of good sized fish, but again moving at a good clip so it was tough to catch numbers. Good quality fish though. Sparse sand eel pattern did the trick.

South side was dead at all loactions I checked. Upper Cape and outer beach reports were that the fishing has not been good.

Fished from the kayak on the flats. Hundreds of fish spotted.

PM for details. Should be heading down the next few weekends.

#20 ·
Looked at the bayside Sat am, Moving fish west of Sesuit in the bolder field. Then went to Morris...dead, dead. Did have a flock of 12 to 14 inch pogies swim by my feet. Sunday am, schoolies in the creek. Lots of indecision on my part, should of put a little bit of time into the southside estuaries.

#22 ·
Made a valiant attempt this weekend in the WIND WIND WIND!!! Some fish busting on the bay side but out of reach and there was no way I was taking the kayak out in that. Fished the south side with a strong wind at my back but nothing going on. One schoolie off the beach around Dennis.

One more big push next weekend. I hope to head down for 5-6 days depending on weather and work.

#23 ·
Tried the westernmost of the rhody beaches and causeways last friday through the midday....decided it was just too nice a day to spend at work....saw one small fish cruising in clear water...no surface activity, not much bait, no working birds, no hookups....but it was a nice day to be out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.