Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shrimp

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  saltydog 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice. Here is my attempt at a shrimp fly for the swap. I wanted something simple for fishing the estuaries. Let me know what you think.

Sean

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sean,

Ever hear the expression "less is more"? Well, in fly tying it is often true. Your shrimp look good to me, and I be the fish will vote for 'em as well. What color did you tie? Were you looking to imitate grass shrimp, because the picture sure looked good for that. I'd give 'em a good work out in the bays and creeks here in New Jersey, that's for sure.

Keep tyin'!

-Doc

#5 ·
Less is more?

I have a question for the community out there:

Do any of you have solid experience catching fish on simpler shrimp patterns like the one that Sean tied?

In all honesty I have never tied on a shrimp fly and I would appreciate some guidance. I agree with Doc - in this busy world I would rather target simple flies when trying to stock my fly box. I tie the more complicated patterns more for personal enjoyment and not when I am trying to efficiently stock my fly box.

If somebody has a proven pattern then I would love to hear some more about the conditions you look for before you tie on the fly. Do you only tie on shrimp when you see shrimp in the water? Is there a particular time of year for shrimping in the estuaries or on Monomoy?

Thanks,

Mike

#6 ·
Jerry,

The eyes are extra small brass. The fly is tied with natural bucktail, rootbeer crystal flash and then tan/gold medium chenile wrapped back to the eye.

Doc,
I was trying to imitate the grass shrimp found in the estuaries. Colors above.

Doogue,
Nice to hear from you. I would question whether you have tied on a "shrimp" pattern or not. I found in the salt pond and estuary fishing this summer that one of the most effective patterns was a small size 4 or even 6 olive over white clouser skipped along the bottom. This was in late June and July when the fish seemed to be very sluggish. I think they were feeding on shrimp which I did see scurry from under my feet while wading.

Sean

#7 ·
That's what I thought
I found that fish in most cases take these flies just under the surface almost like a worm and weighted eyes may either be a blessing or a cures as they will cause you to sink
I use in most cases black plastic chain eyes or burnt mono however I would be interested to see if being under the naturals would get you more hits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.