Fly Fishing Forum banner

which yak to pak

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Stan 
#1 ·
I have recently begun a relationship with the Bass Pro retail outlet here in NC. They say that I can get stuff from the store at a considerable discount. Put that together with my recent inclination to get into kayaking, i figure that now would be as good a time as any to actually go get one. I am thinking a sit on top model would fit my needs and BPS shows two on their website:
Mainstream Jazz and Perception Illusion. the perception is about twice the price of the mainstream. i am guessing there is a good reason for that. any recomendations between the two? any experience with either? thanks and i'll hang up and listen, oh wait, i have been listening to too much sports talk radio lately. :)

#2 ·
Capt. Gordon,

Kind of crazy to be thinking a bout yaks with the weather you guys are getting wacked with.

First, I would suggest you get cost effective flats boat instead like a Mitzi Skiff or on of the Carolina Skiff flats boats...;)

That being said - I checked the Bass Pro web site and saw that they only carry the two brands you referenced. Off the cuff, I say Perception since they've been around forever.

Sit on top or covered yak?

If you and clietns will be getting out and wading - go with a sit on top. Check out the specs on the Perception site for the Bimini at 15' and the Nepali at 15.5'. The longer the yak, generally the faster it is and I like speed when I'm paddling.

Good luck,

Roop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.