Fly Fishing Forum banner

So who are the yak guys here ?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
New to site wondering who are the yak guys.Who are you?Where do you fish ? What kind of yak do you have?
I paddle a Pungo .
I fish where ever they are hitting.Mostly Ct.
joev

#2 ·
I am in Boston now. I have a OK Frenzy Sit on top. Mainly use it on the cape and RI shore, since I grew up in CT and my parents still live there. Haven't launched near my parents home in Mystic, I usually prefer to hit the Misquamicut beaches.

Nick

#4 ·
yellow pungo here, I used to fish the Duxbury area, and down the cape. but haven't done enough this year to say I fish mainly in any spot. Tom D

#5 ·
I don’t fish from my yak but I use it to get from spot to spot. I’m not comfortable with trying to land a fish from it yet. I hooked a nice blue when I had Striblues tri-balance and had a hell of a time turning the fish/ keeping it from tangling in the outriggers. Handling the fish isn’t a problem, it’s keeping form breaking my rod tht concerns me most. I’m thinking about hand lining/ trolling a fly line next season.

We were kicking around the idea this weekend of a yak forum, maybe it’s a good idea. I think safety is an important issue that many of us ignore.

I live next door to Duxbury Bay but haven’t fished it in 2 years (almost Tod!), now that I’m yakable, we should host some type of clandestine gathering, yaks only, fly rod only, natural flies only, floating lines only, one backcast only, sight fishing only… Sorry, I guess the few snowflakes I saw last night are getting to me.

Actually, Juro donated a found/ run-over surfcasting outfit to me which with some repairs could be a decent yak – trolling rod.

Oh yeah, I have a blood red Wilderness Systems Manteo.

#6 ·
I'll follow Senior Roopster anywhere except into flack...in my air superiority blue Manteo (unless I happen to be paddlin' around in the AreaSixtyOne demo Pungo reserved for Jim Doogue when he's in town) Chatham inside/outside and WatchHill/Stonington are my most common put-ins...and I use the Yak to get to where I can wade fish since it's so easy to high-stick/break a rod while trying to land a non-cooperative victim...and the idea of a YAK attack sounds good to me!

#8 ·
never made it out in the pungo this year....but have it an excellent fish guage..."nantucket sleighrides" only occur if the striper is 24" or up....

splash it all over -- loads of fun yakking at night -- worm hatches, slurping bass.....it can be awesome.

-j

#9 ·
I have had my eye on yaks and pontoons for awhile. I haven't picked one up yet, But hope to join the yak group next season. I have been looking at the different types and there are many now. I saw a little buyers guide article in the Fly Fish America Sept 2001 issue with what looks like all of the available makes with spec listed and retail pricing. The had little sections on recreational, touring, sit-on top, folding and inflatables. Their favorite as it turned out for Fly Fishing was Walden Scout in part due to their accessories like their work deck as "the perfect stripping apron". They also had the Ccotty fly rod holders ($25) for Yaks, canoes etc... very nice. http://www.waldensports.com

Greg.

#13 ·
Roop - fish busting right alongside Powderpoint Bridge yesterday morning!!! It's not too late!!!

Does a canoist-eying-a-kayak-over-the-winter count? Spent a lot of time on Duxbury/Kingston/Plymouth bays this summer in my old town discovery. Love it for fishing the shallows, but as everyone knows it is an absolute sail when the wind picks up. Eyeing an offseason kayak purchase... A guy can dream.

#14 ·
Joev.. I have never had trouble fighting or landing a fish... If it does tangle under the pontoons I could move my rod easily around it... I know Roop has had some issue and I am sure it could cause a problem depending on how the fish reacts. But ,for me , and the ability to stand and feel more secure around the Chatham waters is worth it. It has great storage capabilities.. tracks well turns can be more difficult that the usual yak but it is very streamline.

#17 ·
Joev... under normal conditions.. the tri-balance will not tip over... Normal waves or wakes will have no effect on it. A Chatham fishing boat passed within about 50 feet of me.. we saw each other... and beside a great lateral ride... I did not have any trouble...Dave is right.. I did go over trying to get to my anchor line.. but I fell out, or slid out... the Yak did not over turn... which any other would have... I then was helped to shore. Dave Fix was thinking that he might buy one for his wife... but I have learned that she is still looking for a vise that supposedly enter there home recently...Naturally, Dave is probably checking it out for safety reasons before he gives it to her. What a guy! }>

#18 ·
Joev - I have a Perception Carolina as well as a Necky Gannet. I love them both for different reasons and am comfortable using either in salt conditions, depending on conditions. They do not perform the same way as a kayak with TRAINING WHEELS ;D though there is something to be said for the stability of same.

To My Good Friend and Worthy Combatant:

Touche'. However, fail not to recognize the abilities of the Master. The incredible acumen, the skill, the seasoned professionalism; the nonchalance, the sincerity, the smooth, unshaken ability to conduct one's business with such style and grace }>

Je suis le Maitre' ! 8)

#19 ·
I am, for once, at a loss for words ...I....I....I... I do recognize the master.... I beg his forgiveness for attempting to make light of his extraordinary abilities. (which ,I , incidentally have been an eye witness). ( It's amazing how some posts just float away from the subject)

#20 ·
I'm also eyeballing kayaks. I have a great whitewater pontoon craft, the Bucks Bag "bronco" model. It's served me very well for years on rivers out west up to class III. It's useful for crossing inlets and can handle rough water and fast currents, but is not designed for distance travel. Therefore the yak has piqued my interest.

Actually, a neighbor is selling a 19ft Outrage Boston Whaler and that is what I really lust for, but in the mean time a yak will have fill the void until the kids get thru school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.