Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gamakatsu SW hooks

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
I just want to check this out... I went up to Rivers Edge today and bought some Fly Tying stuff and some hooks... When I bought some Gamakatsu Saltwater Series..Tin Plated ..the store clerk tells me they are not going to carry then anymore because they rust... now I always wash my tackle down so have not seen... or for that matter ,heard that these hooks rust... can anyone confim or deny this.

#2 ·
I have used three gami varieties S/W series. The long shank perfects, the hvy wire limericks, and the bendback. I don't recall rust being an issue if the flies are washed off well (I soak them in my sink). I get rust on my SS hooks if unwashed so for those who wash flies off I think it's a non-issue.

I am not a big fan of the perfect bend design regardless of brand and like a much thinner wire hook than the gami limerick in sizes larger than 1/0 where the diameter of the wire gets real fat.

As a 100% barbless guy I use the thinnest wire possible to hold fish better. Fat wire barbless makes a big hole and is easy to throw. Perfect bend is easy for the fish to throw too, I believe you need a little offset sag in the bend to hold 'em without a barb. Thin wire is much lighter to cast, which makes a big difference for shore anglers. There are several other reasons why I like thin wire SW/SS hooks like the Tiemco 811s but I won't ramble.

The new Varivas hooks look promising in the curvature aspect for barbless fishing, not to mention the increased likelihood that the design will slide out of the inner mouth cavity and catch on the lip in a slightly circle-esque manner, decreasing inner mouth hooking (albeit very rare with flies). If this is the case the wire diameter should not matter. The chemically sharpened hooks are razor sharp like the Tiemcos.

.02 FWIW

#3 ·
Thanks Juro... I don't know and maybe it's me but I have a problem with that shop... everytime I go in there it's like I am a pain to those guys... I mean ..If I ask a question it's like I"m stupid.. I get strange looks or a snicker of sorts... And by that I that mean the owner and his Assistant as well.. I even called one day to see if they had a certain thing and It was like ...Ya stupid.. sure we do..Anyway when I was told the hooks rusted I am now thinking he may be pushing the Orvis brand instead... I don't trust them... I will not go there any more and I will shop at Concord Outfitters where Andy takes a real interest in you and is pleasant to speak with... sorry' but I am ticked off and I may tell the guy to take a PR course or worse.

#4 ·
Have never been there but I know one thing - our sponsors really treat us right.

On that note, did you happen to see the new Maui Jim polycarb shades on titanium frames at Andy's place? I tried them on... the frames are so light they are non-existent, and the lens shape ideal for sight fishing and glare reduction. They are more than I would normally dream of spending on sunglasses but eye protection, comfort and vision are all so important. I did 30 trips on Monomoy last season a little extra investment for the eyes makes sense. I just might break out of the bargain sunglass habit this year...

#5 ·
If they are one of our sponsors then it's probably me... Maybe I should introduce myself... I did see the new Maui's and at about $250 I think they are steep but they are the lightest I have ever tried on...like have nothing... Maybe something worth saving up for.

#6 ·
...the customer is always rrrright...most of the time anyway!

John...
...I'll wear my TEETH and the toxic waste suit...You wear the FEZZZ and speak in that "special" dialect...Plan on spending a few hours...We'll have them eating out of our hands and slashing prices just to get us to leave the store!

#7 ·
John -

Seems to be some confusion, I was talking about Concord Outfitters treating us well like I said never been up to the other shop.

I agree, those shades were like air. I am used to smoke lenses though, those were amber. I'll check Maui Jim's site for other lens tints.

#10 ·
It's unfortunate when a member has a bad experience at a shop, it happens everywhere but I let's avoid targeting any shop because one or more of us happened to have a bad visit. When I worked at a fly shop I had good days and bad days, met good people and bad people, and I guess I've been responsible for some of the bad days too.

Maybe the best thing to do is take the high road on-line (we're good at that) and vote with your dollars.

#12 ·
I have learned that it's better to talk to someone that can make a difference, manager, owner. If I have a problem with a retailer I let them know right then and there. They really do want happy customers sometimes you just have to help them. The few times this has not worked I simply choose to shop elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.