Fly Fishing Forum banner

hooks

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Soon I will need to do some more tying of bonefish flies for a repeat trip to Acklin's Island next spring. I have been using, for the most part, Mustad 34007 stainless steel hooks for my bonefish flies.
Wondering if anyone has comments on hooks; what comparable model numbers to the 34007 might be for other makes - such as Tiemco, Daiichi and others.
Also looking for a good place to buy hooks, mostly in small quantity.
Thanks.
GMflyfish

#4 ·
Mustad 34007 is ok, but you must sharpen them. The Daiichi 2546 is pretty much a duplicate of the 34007, but chemically sharpened. Both the 811S and the SC15 are excellent choices. Another choice is the Gamakatsu SL45. It is a sticky sharp hook that has been designed specifically for bonefish flies. It is not stainless, but I generally wash used flies in the evening when I'm cleaning my gear, so not a problem.

#5 ·
Interesting that you both like the SC15 for bones. I love that hook for albies or basically any fly that requires a short shank but not if I am going to put eyes on it. To me its halfway to a circle hook and I am convinced that I have missed strikes due to the weight of the eyes tipping the hook on the set and moving the point out of the way. For any type of clouser etc...I go for more of a standard J hook for that reason.

Sean

#7 ·
The majority of my flies are tied on 34007s but I did manage to open a couple up this spring while fishing Acklins and not on bones of any size either. Which has made me consider other hooks.
On the other hand a friend of mine who has caught plenty of large bones uses nothing but 34007s and swears by them.

#8 ·
Smcdermott said:
Interesting that you both like the SC15 for bones. I love that hook for albies or basically any fly that requires a short shank but not if I am going to put eyes on it. To me its halfway to a circle hook and I am convinced that I have missed strikes due to the weight of the eyes tipping the hook on the set and moving the point out of the way. For any type of clouser etc...I go for more of a standard J hook for that reason.

Sean
Hi Sean
I don't see your point about the eyes tipping the hook.
When I tie new flies I usually test them to see how they swim and I see no difference in the movement between a longer hook and an SC15. In fact the eyes being closer to the hook point will keep the fly moving straight when you strip.

I very often tie the eyes on my gotchas and crazy charlies opposite the hook point as I think they swim better.

Pete

#9 ·
Thanks for the info on hooks; seems there are a number of possibilities. I will do some searching as to a place to order some.
I usually do a few quick passes on the diamond stone to sharpen the 34007 hooks I use. I have used some other styles of Tiemco hooks for various things, but don't think I have tied on Gamakatsu at all.
Thanks.
GMflyfish.

#10 ·
If you routinely press down your barbs then 34007 hooks are OK. The points and barbs are way superior on hooks like the Daiichi X452, and the Gamakatsu SL45 and SC15. I wish they made the SL45 in at least a #2. Right now it's only #4-10. The cost of even DUI bonefish trips makes it seem silly to me to try and save money on things like hooks and tippet materials, but that's just my humble opinion.

#11 ·
petevicar said:
Hi Sean
I don't see your point about the eyes tipping the hook.
When I tie new flies I usually test them to see how they swim and I see no difference in the movement between a longer hook and an SC15. In fact the eyes being closer to the hook point will keep the fly moving straight when you strip.

I very often tie the eyes on my gotchas and crazy charlies opposite the hook point as I think they swim better.

Pete
Pete,

Not so much the swimming motion but the location of the hook point in relation to the fish's mouth. My logic may be flawed but here it is in my best non artistic pictorial form. :)

The way I picture it with an 811S or any other standard J hook the point is perpindicular to the mouth and has better odds of getting a good hook set with a horizontal strip set. With the SC15 the point in curved down (in the inverted postion caused by the clouser eyes) and you have a slightly reduced chance of getting a good set. I think this is probably less of an issue on the flats but in the up and down motion of a traditional clouser its magnified even more as the fish will be striking from behind or underneath the fly.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.