Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chatham Light Day 2 (or..The No Name Clave)

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  i'm so outta here 
#1 ·
There I was at home mid day Sat. Laying low, needed around the family, doing the right thing as I have overdone the fishing part of my life. I decided to check the board. So I go on-line and read Al's post. Oh my God! I called Juro and find out there were not 2 but 3 fish taken over 40 inches. I decide, that's it I'm going, this is a "STIPER EMERGENCY! after a long "discussion" with my wife I set my alarm for 2:00 and head for the lighthouse.
I arrive at the parking lot at 4:30 and find the Estey's bros. are there. A good feeling to find friends. Juro shows up later and off we trickle individually down the stairs out to the point. Not much action for a while. When the sun rises we find there are plenty of guys out there fishing. But way out on the tip in the rip are about 8 of us. Each being very courteous to the next. There was an occasional large fish taken here and there but things were a bit slow. Juro was standing the most north of the line looking at me talking when oop fish on!! Tons of drag squeeling as he starts walking south clearing out the line of us to work the fish out of the rip. Next up on the point Bigcat. Bang he's on ZZZZzzzzzzz wow. Bigcat finally turns and starts heading down the line. I'm next. No keeper on the fly to date, I'm up, they are here. I toss my Sand Eel out nothing. Next cast... strip strip thud thud yank, thump ZZZZZZzzzzzz backing backing lots going out, my biggest striper I can tell. Yipppee!!! Meanwhile Juro is still fighting a 36" and Bigcat is in the middle of his fight. WE got triple keepers on from shore. I turn to swing the fish down the line and I see a sight I'll always remember. 5 fishermen standing in line waiting, slowly walking up to the point waiting their turn. Unreal. (the next guy had no Deep Eel which is a strong case for why the hook ups ended with me). SO the 3 of us are over in the corner behind the bar landing our fish, pictures being taken. I have my fish beside me but wondering for a moment, Tape?, Camera? these other 2 done yet? Do we get a pitcture of all 3? A dumb moment where I wait and let the line go slack, barbless deep eel slips out and the fish slowly swims away. So no picture of me holding it, damn. A quick ruling from the judges and I hear "You caught it don't worry". Oh well, I'm not too bummed, it's like I'm half way there and got enough to get that keeper foolishness off my back. IT was in the low 30's we figure and there is one picture of me standing there with the fish in the water beside me in that dumb confusion.
This Deep EEl/Estes Swing 2000 business has become a real institution in our group. A season to cherish. Let's get som forum hats with the Sandeel and 2000 and a swing motion on it or something. Juro: thank you again for your selfless giving.

Terry

See less See more
#2 ·
Terry, Juro, BigCat,

Congrats, Excellent call heading back there pre-dawn on Sunday. I was in a DEEP sleep & still grinning. The current on that rip easily adds 10lbs. to each fish. Man, those monsters really know how to get deep & try to hold in the current. You try to move them out & they just make a run right back in. I have pictures developed, now I just need to scan them. Oh, a little math for Tioga owners:

1 Big Bass + 1 impropperly Palmed Tioga reel = 1 BASHED Thumb!

#3 ·
2 more things:
* Mike Estes had a couple of decent size fish before the triple pig dance. Mike? Details?

**There is a store in Reading that sells a Dozen Roses for 6 bucks! That's right 6.00 dollars. I made a stop there on my way home yesterday. It helped a little. They sell them until 7:00 pm on Sundays too

Terry

G
#4 ·
Terry, John, Juro,

YES!! Chatham Light is one awesome spot, eh?

Terry, thanks for the help, but I'm afraid roses won't be enough. Anything short of her own keeper bass will fail to wash away the envy
I may have to go in late to work one day this week and take her out to the magic hole with a DDE on her 9 wt.

al

G
#8 ·
Yes, well, it's a mixed blessing..... Most guys who answer the question "How'd you do?" with "Honey, I caught a tremendous fish!" are greated with a hero's welcome. I got the evil stare of death followed by invectives to find a sitter who doesn't mind working fishermen's hours. Thank God my parents have agreed to take my son for the Rhody clave weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.