Fly Fishing Forum banner

A balanced attack

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gammarus 
#1 ·
I'm about to embark on my mission to build a balanced saltwater rod arsenal. I'm having trouble deciding what weights of rods to get to cover my haywire fishing habits. I have enough for 4 rods. I was thinking 7 and 9 for bones, 10 for permit/dorado, 12 for tarpon/sails/tuna. After that I can get an 11 and 13 for the bluewater trips. What would you do?

#3 ·
I think you are on the right track - i.e. going up 2 rod-classes between setups. My standard arsenal consists of 7wt, 9wt and 12wt. 11wt was a bit of an odd-ball size when I put my original kit together.

I also have a 13wt which can be comfortably cast and a 14wt which is limited to single shot water-haul techniques.
Thats in addition to a few double handers and light weight stuff for freshwater.

#4 ·
I think that if I were to start all over again, I'd go with...

... a very fast 9' 6-wt. for "smaller" fish and flies
... a 10' 8-wt. for larger fare (bones, reds, snook, blues, weakies, and similarly-sized fish)
... the Atlantis (11' 11-wt.) for larger stripers, amberjacks, cobia, tarpon, and the like
... and a larger stick such as a 14-wt. for tuna and sails.

#7 ·
That is truly a very fortunate position to be in. The more tackle I buy the more I am drawn to the esoteric side. There is just something really great about going to the river, beach, or lake with a quality piece of tackle.

Anyone can run to the store and buy the latest thing. but not everyone can show up on the river with the likes of say . . . a Robert Meiser custom rod and perhaps a Maurice Noel reel. [not that I do] That is an extreme example but that idea can extend even to just the fly being fished.

Let us know what you end up with, and enjoy the process!

N I

#8 ·
North Island, It took along time to reach this point. I've been fortunate enough to have friends in flyfishing retail and wholesale who have provided me with cheap prices on expensive gear. After years of buying "brand name stuff" I have cleaned out my closet of rods.I'm now left with money for new stuff. I'm having a Meiser 5130 built right now and will be getting a Fred Evans special soon. I have enough left for 4 saltwater rods and a big water Meiser spey. I'll be buying LOOP saltwater rods as they match my casting style. They're also cheap (especially at wholesale. My hope is to have no more gear that doesn't get used.

#10 ·
My friend is the exlusive importer of LOOP for Canada, so I've tried every rod they have.. The big ticket around here are the yellow rods. Alot of guys are scared of the color but the guides swear they are they best spey rods around. If your comfortable with your manhood get the yellow spey rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.