Fly Fishing Forum banner

suggestions on rod for tight spots-trout

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 · (Edited)
i'm going to be doing some fishing in the blue ridge mountains (north georgia) for trout. i am told that the trout are big, the streams small, and the conditions very tight. roll casting using dries and nymphs. i've been looking for an 8ft 5 wt medium action rod. found a redington red.fly and a cortland cl/ but none others. anyone familiar with either of these rods, or do any of you have any other suggestions? thanks

#3 ·
5wt will probably work but I would prefer a 7' or 7' 6" 3 or 4 for small streams.

Preferably a full flexing rod and double taper line. I'm not a huge fan of Orvis SW rods but they have some models in the Superfine lineup that were made for this kind of fishing. I have owned one for 15 years and it is a pleasure to fish.

Might want to pass on the Redington/Cortland rods and look at Temple Forks Pro series if you are on a budget.

#4 ·
I like a mid flex rod for this

NM,

I would say a 8' 4wt in a mid-flex rod with a double taper line would be a good compromise of line weight and length. I think the mid-flex combined with the double taper line would allow you to roll cast in tight quarters to those GA trout. I just fished the other day on the Stillwater River here in MA with a 8.5' 4wt TFO Series 1 rod I picked up over the winter. I liked it quite a bit - I was roll casting, throwing double nymph rigs without problem, and casting it right where I wanted the fly to go. It isn't the prettiest rod, but it worked well for my casting ability and style.

Have a good trip.

Pete

#5 ·
I used to do quit a bit of that type of fishing on small mountain streams in Pennsylvania and then in Montana when I lived there. Many of those small streams I fished in PA and MT were maybe 15' wide at their widest spots. Like Juro, I'd recommend a 7' or 7'6" rod for a 4 wt for this type of fishing. I have a 7'6" 4 wt I used for exactly that type of fishing.

#6 ·
I'd go with a 7'6 instead of an 8' rod if it's primarily going to be used for small streams. I use an Orvis 4 wt 7'6 full flex with a DT line on it and I've always loved the combo. Full flex rods aren't for everyone though, so I'd recommend a mid flex. What's your price range? I'm a big fan of St Croix rods, so I'd recommend looking at their lineup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.