Fly Fishing Forum banner

Guides close to ferrules

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Night Raider 
#1 ·
I'm laying out the guides on my first rod, a 4 piece 9'. With the spacing I'm using it has one guide with the centre 1" from the female end of a ferrule and another one 3/4" from the male part of a ferrule. I know it probably comes down to looks but I'd like some experienced opinions so I atleast know I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Guides close to ferrule

Nothing wrong with that, in fact I am pleased when I can locate a guide on the female ferrule. Less wrapping. Just make sure you have enough wrap on the ferrule before your thread climbs the guide foot, especially if it is a stripper.I like to have about the depth of the male ferrule wrapped on the female.Do you have complete engagement of the male end and the guide is 3/4" past that? You may want to give a little more space on the male end.

#4 ·
Guide close to ferrule

From your description it sounds like the guide foot ,assuming it is a snake, would be too close to the female ferrule. I would move it back to allow about 3/4-1" clearance of guide and wrap from female. There is a site <rodbuilding.org> where you could pose this question to get some other opinions on this.
I didnt ask before, what section of the rod are we talking about and what are the specifics of the rod, length,wt ,etc.,? In my opinion the further back on the rod the less critical is the issue of spacing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.