Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reels for South Beach / Monomoy

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  hnl 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I’ve been reading all these threads for about a year now and have come to trust much of the advice listed on this sight. I’m buying a new reel in the off-season and was hoping to get some suggestions from everyone. I predominantly fish Monomoy and South Beach. I have a Loomis 9’ 10 wt and I’m looking to match it up with a large arbor reel. Any opinions? I currently have a Ross Cimmaron. I’ve been very happy with it and with Ross service but would like to upgrade. I’m not looking to break the bank but also understand that quality doesn’t come cheaply. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Great site!! Keep up the good work.

Dave17

#2 ·
Welcome Dave...

You'll get good info here @ FFF...
IMHO...
Don't be in a big rush to shell out big bean$ for a tool worthy of salty/sandy South Beach!
If I were you...Do youself a favour!
Wait until mid January and meet US at the Marlboro show...
A great opportunity to exchange ideas and to fondle all things aluminum/titanium/whatever...
Maybe even hang them on a rod for a bettter idea of what you're getting into...ballance/feel/function...
Show entry fee...a few buck$
Knowledge available...PRICELESS! :chuckle:

That's my .02

On the other hand...
"Experienced Reels of Distinction"...
I've got a few "seasoned" Bauer (5+6) reels/spools that will be a deal (once I get my butt in gear and get 'em posted on the for-sale board)...'Just too many toyz!
Used but not abused. Not a bad way to go...:devil:

#3 ·
Hey Dave,

I have 2 Redington 9/10 GD's and a Bauer M4 and of the 2 types, the Bauer wins hands down. Yes it's a little more money but the reel is worth every penny.

Both are light and balance out the rod quite well and each has landed it share of stripers. The Bauer's drag system is much better and the reel itself is a lot smoother. I am actually considering selling the 2 GD's and picking up another Bauer.

As far as price you can't beat the price of the GD and the extra spools.

.02:smokin:

#5 ·
I've been thinking about the Ross Canyon Big Game. If you like the Cimmeron you'd probably like the Big Game.

Pete's Baurer's sound interesting. The drags will probably need a little work in given Pete's knack for catching burners.

I'm sorry I didn't but a Tioga when I bought the Reddington AS.

#10 ·
I like the BG series as well, fished my very hard all season. One slight caution is that like all "sealed" drags moisture can penetrate the assy and corrosion will set in unless you follow the procedure they provide to the tee.

I still love mine though, the corrosion only prevents the reel from loosening drag to a light setting (it always stays fishing strength or better). It is going in for service when it gets back from Brazil where it is battling giant peacock bass on the Atlantis and will be shipshape by spring for sure.

#12 ·
Appreciate the feedback from everyone. I like the look of the Ross BG. I'm gonna have to save my pennies! The Lamson Litespeed has also caught my eye. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Hoping to make it to the Marlboro show, put some faces to the names .....

#13 ·
I've used at Ross G-5 for the past several years with 9 wt rods and vairious lines. It has performed real well for me and did not break the wallet. Very reliable reel, but you need to clean it up everynight, or at least leave it in water.
Good luck,
DK

#15 ·
I have a set of Lamson Litespeed 3.5 reels and spools. I use them in fresh water and salt, tho nowhere near as much in salt as a lot of other people here. They have shown no signs of rust or any other problems. I thought about Ross BGs, and bought one, but decided that the extra cost wasn't worth it.

#16 ·
FredA,

I'm ashamed to say I've never fished CI. I live two minutes away but I've always felt it's to good to be true. Local shops in Boston say it's a great place to wet a line but it is very sensitive to tide, season and condition (I've been concerned about polution and my gear). I travel a great deal on business and when I fly into Logan from above it looks awesome. Flying over, there is a large shoal that shoots straight off the fort and looks very inviting to anglers. Unfortunatly I have a limited amount of fishing time and tend to spend it in areas that I know to be productive (Monomoy, South Beach and Napatree in RI). If you're ever interested in giving it a shot I would be more then happy to join you. As I said I'm about two minutes away.

Regards,
Dave17

#17 ·
I have fished Castle Island. Fish the small outlet on the dropping tide.Let the current do the work. Fish an intermidate line. No secrets here. Dave you once you figure out the Sugar Bowl you won't be taking that many trips to the Cape. However, its urban fishing and not as pretty as the Cape. FishHawk:smokin:

#18 ·
Lamson

I have the Litespeed 4.0 used it in Belize... an awesome reel!!! less money and the guarentee can't be beat! :D if $ is a concern look into the Lamson velocity as well, lower prices, not as fancy looking, but same drag system. check them out, the drag is as smooth as silk. Tom D

#20 ·
Re: Lamson

tomd said:
I have the Litespeed 4.0 used it in Belize... an awesome reel!!! less money and the guarentee can't be beat! :D if $ is a concern look into the Lamson velocity as well, lower prices, not as fancy looking, but same drag system. check them out, the drag is as smooth as silk. Tom D
I have two of the 4.0's, use them for spey lines. The drag *design* is the same but the 4. Litespeed drag is larger than the 4.0 Velocity drag.

#21 ·
Dave the Sugar Bowl is a local name given to the sugar bowl shaped like structure that is at the West end of the Lagoon. If you go to the old Castle/Fort where people jog, walk and skate board you'll see two outlets draining the lagoon. Fish the outlet next to the Fort. Ask anyone where the Sugar Bowl is an you'll be directed to the area.
Fishhawk :D

#22 ·
Salty Ross and the Sugar Bowl

Two more bits of info for you. More confirmational info and nothing new here:

1. I really am pleased with my Big Game 5. Juro and company are right though - you need to soak that reel after every use. However, Ross has been awesome about servicing the reel after a season of my abuse.

2. My Dad often walks the Sugar Bowl area during his lunch break and he has told me stories of seeing fly guys catching loads of fish there. He has seen lots of tight lipped stripers there as well. Lots of guys fishing and nobody catching the passing fish.

#24 ·
I have several (5) Islander Reels and LOVE them.

If you haven’t already fished with an Islander or had the pleasure of looking one over in your local fly shop, treat yourself and go see the incredible craftsmanship that goes into these reels.
Inspect the machining and tolerances of the reel, the amazingly solid feel of the reel in your hand, the heavy Anodization to protect it from the elements, the large palming rim. Spin the handle and hear the (now famous) sound of an Islander! Take it apart and see how easily it converts from left to right hand retrieve, in seconds, with no tools – did you notice how few parts there are?!?!?! Designed the right way, easy to maintain, bulletproof construction, low maintenance, silky smooth drag that's made to stop a rhino and great customer service.

They have a great Cork Drag, drawbar design (just like the Billy Pates, Abel’s and Tibors- pretty good company to keep!!!) that has been stopping speedsters and monster fish for years. Add to that, extremely low start up inertia to save your tippets and the resulting lost fish and you have a great product!

I think they are the best reel around for the money...especially when you find a good used one (see “FOR SALE BY OWNER” on this website or do a search) or check e-bay. You won't be disappointed and you will pass this fine piece of machinery on to your grandkids!

I would argue that they are one of the best reels made and certainly the best for their price range.

#25 ·
Owned them all.
Islanders are pretty - but never get the drag (cork) wet unless well dressed with neatsfoot oil. Will chatter.
Waterworks-Lamsons are smooth but never pop off a spool if reel wet. Drag clutch will rust. Handle too small and thin for good grip.
Same for Ross' clutch - not stainless.
Abel's are beautifully finished - but noisy because still uses dog and spring on drag plate i/o one way clutch.
I keep coming back to my Bauers - the Extreame models. MX4 or better an MX5 for a 10wt. I think the MX series his best reel. The new model with the quick release spool less $ and O.K.
Bought a new reel the other day from South Africa and I have to say rivals the best of them. Marginal for a 10 wt but certainly beefy enough. You will have enough backing if you cut flyline down to 80ft. As smooth as silk and very well put together. All stainless clutch like the Bauer. Had new reel in hand same time as bel super 11. Except for being pretty, the Abel looses. Drag control is unique in that it employs a floating bearing and spring, both held captive in the spool. This allows the drag to be employed over a wide range - probably 4-5 revolutions. And no indents so you have an infinate amount of settings. Most other reels go from no drag to full drag in less than one revolution of the drag nob. Reel has type III anodization - most (except the Waterworks - Lamson) are type II. Reel is manuf by Storm Reels in South Africa and sells for about $250.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.