Fly Fishing Forum banner

Temple Fork Rods

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Chris Puma 
#1 ·
I have read a lot lately about Temple Forks Rods. I went to a dealer near my home, and I was stunned by the price. Are they as great as they seem, or are they worth about what you pay?

Thanks.

#2 ·
TFO the real deal

Last year I bought a series one 8 weight as a spare rod for Coho season liked the rod so much I bought 2 Ticrx models 8 and 6 then went out and picked up a 14 foot nine weight two hander. I like the progressive taper which allows me to roll cast tips to the surface pickup the line and send it on its way with one backcast. Most people that have tried my rods say they are cannons and cast effortlessly. These rods compete with the highend rods in performance at a fraction of the price.

Ian

#3 ·
tgblueridge,

TFO are good casting rods at a fairly low price. They (like the Echo, low-end St. Croix, Redington, etc.) have enough performance to keep beginning and intermediate fly casters and fly fisherman very happy. Heck, I suspect average fly fishers who only fish 20-40 days/year (i.e. 10 weekends to 20 weekends in a year, or 2 days/week for 10 weeks to 20 weeks/year) could be pretty satisfied with the performance of them the rest of their days.

However, for those who fish over 50 days/year with many years experience; those who are skilled casters able to get the most out of their equipment; and/or those who have been fly fishing more than 10 years, the high-priced, high-end rods are a better choice because the performance of the low-end rods will be exceeded by their abilities. But then again despite my 47 years experience fly fishing, who am I to say TFO (or some other low-end rod) is not the equal of high-end rods in terms of performance?

#6 ·
TFO's TiCr X and TiCr rods offer a great fast action value. Most average to better than average casters will find this offering doing everything a single handed rod needs to do in any situation. Great service from a great company with a great warranty. I personally am a big fan of the TFO series of rods.
Chris

#8 ·
Dble Haul said:
I think that the TFO rods . . . could easily be 50% more in price . . .
Shh h h . . . :D

I have a 9wt and 7wt and am happy with their performance, although I don't have much to compare them with.

Q

#9 ·
I am new to fly fishing. I was told to get a TFO rod to start with. So I did. It works great for me. Another good thing about them, they have a "free" repair service on their rods. Youi just pay $25 fo shipping and handleing and they will repair the rod and send it back. Lucky for me their office is less than a mile from my work. I had broken my. Called them up and asked if I could just come by and drop it off. They said come by. So I did and they replace the broken section for me right then for NO CHARGE.

I will probably never fish more than 20 -30 days a year (just don't have trout much in Texas) so I will probably always buy TFO rods when I get a new one.

#10 ·
fly fishing is more than just trout

If you think fly fishing is just for trout, you need to broaden your horizons -- Fly fishing can be used for almost every kind of fish.
Bass are great on a fly. Down in Florida they are great for snook, baby tarpon, redfish, bonefish, barracuda, and even shark. I've used mine in Hawaii to catch all kinds of tropical fish, and am now in Maine using them to catch striped bass.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking fly fishing is just for trout or you'll become one of those who feel fly fishers are "elitists" -- we're not, we're just average joe's having a good time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.