Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flies for the Clave Week End

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave17 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I feel the need to tie up some new flies for my forthcoming trip.

I know that at this time of year stripers will eat just about anything you throw at them, however I would like to tie up some appropriate patterns and imagine that my wonderful flytying is responsible for catching the odd fish or so.

I have clousers, bunker patterns and also Juro's deep eel among others.

What would you suggest as alternative patterns?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

#4 ·
Last year there were some very selective fish (even in the early spring) in an area that we frequent. I think you were out with Art the days we fished it.

If you end up heading to that location with us and conditions are similar you're going to need 4-5" sand eel patterns with a very narrow profile. Silver or white on the bottom. These sand eels had a very blue back, not the traditional olive that is normally found (the color was similar to the AMEX logo up on the "donate" tab at the top of this page). Flies should be weighted to fish in 2-4' of water. Long gummies worked well but I hate fishing them.

Having the right fly was important with these fish but presentation was the most critical thing.

You're initial post was right.... Don't over-think it. In May 95% of the time you'll be chucking a clouser.

Hope to see you up there... I'm doing everything I can to make the trip but it's still up in the air right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.