Fly Fishing Forum banner

Starting the kids...

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TinMan 
#1 ·
My 4 year old daughter is now a fishing freak! She's even upset that I didn't let her use the fly rod instead of bait.

Saturday night, her first time fishing, first cast, a nice fat bluegill. She landed 2 more Sat night, 7 Sunday AM.

Two Roop women down - 1 left.

I'm a lucky man.

Roop

#2 ·
Roop,

My two year old is pretty crazy for it too. He doesn't like the fishing so much as he does the chance to squish worms or grubs or whatever Mom has dug up for him in the yard between his fingers. He's caught a few perch down at the local pond, but so far he seems to enjoy being part of Dad's passion more than anything. I feel the same way.

We should definitely get a kid clave going in the near future!

al

#3 ·
I like the kid clave idea! My son and daughter (5+6) are into bluegills. We just switched to a new pond and are catching some nice perch now. They also have caught scoolies from the row boat on the cape. I find it hard to integrate FF with them though. They neeed constant attention. I use worms, bobbers, ans long shanked hooks with the barbs mashed down. Them panfish like to swallow everything.

TerryW

#4 ·
Great idea!!

Jay Clancy also mentioned this recently. I remember when I left my son with a 7wt and a popper and walked to help my two nephews up the shore. We turned around and my son was wrestling a large cormorant whose wingspan was threateningly large compared to my son. The bird had swallowed his bluegill and there was no choice but to cut the tippet. I'm sure with that tiny popper in a bluegill that the bird was fine. The worst thing would have been to try and dig out that bluegill backwards against the spines. I had a hard time convincing the birdwatchers that I did the right thing though. Anyway, it was a grand time just the same.

We should integrate an ice cream soda afterwards, or even hotdogs on the grill. The kids love that stuff.

For the New England contingent, I would suggest White's Pond in Concord.

Any takers for clave meister?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.