Fly Fishing Forum banner

New egg pattern

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
Local fly shop turned me onto these which a guide has been using in Michigan

This picture is with the fly wetted, a fish's eye view.:chuckle:

Will be using as a dropper behind a weighted nymph or spey in particular holes and runs, not all.

I am not really a two fly fisherman, although it is legal in Michigan.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Re:cool wet look

Fred wrote:
But is the 'egg' itself green?
For some reason, the chartruese/lime eggs seem to appear orange in our tannic stained water.
If you've ever shot negative(print) film, you've seen that green appears orange on the neg. Maybe salmonid eyes work backwards??? Or, the brown stain in the water filters out certain wavelengths & the green appears orange???
Just a thought...

#6 ·
Ah, 'tannic' water. Sounds like a very bad

Scotch to me.:whoa:

Our water(s) are usually gin clear unless you get the 'collect the animals two by two.' (A Dam-damn thing) But done in 'regular' egg colours this looks like it could be a very cool fly for fall fishing.
fae

#7 ·
Wisconsin has tannic stained waters in many rivers, can use brighter colored flies there than Michigan rivers which are mainly clear and spring creek like. Plus lighter leaders in Michigan nothing like a hot fall steelie on 4 lb maxima chasing down the stream after them before they get to the timber or deep bend hole.:hehe:

I will let you know how they work out Fred but am always open to a trade for some west coast egg patterns I may not have in my wallett.

#8 ·
Hal, you gotta deal.

Have a couple of "specials" not seen before. Actually, quite uniquie and effective.

Shoot me you address off line again to bank and I'll send a couple your way for "local test patterns."
:devil:

Almost forgot: not too many choices in hook size; have a choice if available?
fae

#10 ·
Wow! 8's and 10's! Them be tiny little buggers.

Well, the 'special ones' I've got are a tad larger than that but, who knows, they may change your luck. Or scare heck out of the fish.

:smokin:

Complete change of subjects: Joan's been "complaining" her computer (and she has a screamer) has been getting slower and slower .... Discovered she didn't like the MacAfee Firewall program I'd installed this past summer. Took it off. Think that may have been a huge!!!!!!!!!!!!! mistake. Reinstalled a 'free download' copy a couple of nights ago. Man, this thing is going nuts shutting out 'port screen' attacks from three major places. Yesterday she said it blocked 31 attempts to access her computer. Three of those were my 'test shots' from the McAfee site ... the rest????

Yuck.

#11 ·
firewall

Fred, if you type the url of the probing computer into a Whois search engine you should be able to get an idea of who is probing and where they are from. A couple of them are.

http://www.arin.net/tools/rwhois.html

http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois/

http://www.apnic.org/search/index.html

Having been through a number of internet service providers while using a firewall I can say that not all providers get probed as often. One was every 5 minutes, with ~ 40% of the requests from Russia. Others aren't as bad.

#12 ·
I am working on this issue for our large international corporate network, our network is getting scanned dail for weak entry points, so I suppose our personal network providers are also which can reach into our home machines.

The internet is the wild wild west and will be for quite a while.

I started getting spammed to death two months ago, some offensive email also, I raised the issue to senior management a week ago, now this weekend our international IT support group out of Europe is doing a mass clean up of old mail domains to hopefully reduce some of our SPAM.

I bet they love me over in Europe right now.:chuckle:

#13 ·
John, many thanks for the url's; cut/pasted sent to the house.

Interesting thing is we're on AOL so you'd (like ya?) think/hope/pray/etc. have something in their system that would scan e mails for bugs coming through their servers. Even if you didn't advertise the fact (saw one isp yesterday that actually stated they have installed an 'anti-viral' program for their users), you'd want a high level of protection.

The how long on AOL can be judged by the fact we can use our "real names." AOL was all lower case letters when we first signed on.
fae

#15 ·
John, you're probably right about aol.

But being far from a 'propeller head' what's aol adding into the mix? The server "number" coming up are all over the map as far as url address.' Some obviously repetitive, but got most of these shut off by 'blocking' their access via the firewall.

fae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.