Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bucktail Deceiver- Sparse

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Here is an example of my fly swap fly. This deciever type fly was found in one of Harry Koons fly bins at Nauset Anglers. It is perfect for big surf.. Tyed with bucktail..white and chartruese for the tail... White below and chartruese for the wing... The body is white ice Chenille. This fly begs for hard quick stripping.. see how the fly is to look on a hard strip in the next response to this post. Head is pearl eyes and Epoxy over eyes as well. You can tye thisin allcolors.. Olive , blue and yellow are good.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I got myself one of those beauties! I see what you mean about the hard strip, I'll have to give it a try.

Nick

#4 ·
If you wanted to fish it slow, you could hold the fly under a very hot tap (use forceps) for a few minutes - this sets the bucktail into a very nice fishy profile like pic #2,yet maintains lots of mobility. Ths is standard technique on the Kenney/Todd flatwings. The bucktail is tied in sparseand deliberately flared with tight wraps of thread. Then the hot water trick sets everything up nicely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.