Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dismal failure!

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Slinger 
#1 ·
Being snowed in I thought that this might be a perfect time to tie crease flies. I`ve listened to all the raves about them and decided that I needed them in my arsenal. Anyway, never in 30 yrs. of tying has a first attempt at a fly meet with such dismal failure. When I finally ripped the fly from my permanently glued together fingers it looked nothing like the pics I`ve seen of these flies. Now would be the perfect time to pull a bank job, I have no fingerprints! I may never get this CA off! The fly, if it could be called that, looks nothing like a morsel that might attract a finned opponent. The instructions, which were my primary reason for buying the kit, turned out to be meager at best. I will not be defeated, I will persevere. But in the mean time, how do I get this S&%t off me?
Slinger

#2 ·
I'm not sure what would safely take that off. I just use soap and water and whatever doesn't come off immediately will fall off with the dead skin.

I know what your talking about in terms of "disasters at the vise". I had one today and it was with a pattern I'm quite familiar with. Even the most basic patterns will end up as abortions (forgive the terminology) if I don't fully concentrate. That's just how it is with me. And new patterns - OOF! I can tie them, but I'm a slow learner!

Only a couple more months to go and we are out there! I always have dreams this time of year!

#3 ·
If you absolutely have to get it off, e.g. glued together fingers or hands,:hehe: acetone or nail polish remover will do it. Other than that I'd let it wear off.

I know about the fly problems. I bought some of Roman Moser's Plushille at a show after seeing a 12 year old tie great looking simple minnows with it. to put it mildly my first attemots with it looked abysmal. Todays problems were with midges. But thats for the trout forum.

#5 ·
Steve, I too have become attached to a crease fly or two:hehe: But that' nothing, listen to this one, true story too.
A few years back at a show one of the guys in tiers row used the slow cure ca (the pink bottle) with a spray accelerant. You think you've go problems now:eyecrazy: This guy puts the CA glue on the threads and shank of the hook, positions the foam just so, gives it a squirt of accelerant and BANG. Holy chit, you'd a thought it was the forth of July. The unamed pro tyer still had his fingers in his mouth as I cautiously mosied on to the next bench.
I only gave the crease flies a try last winter after seeing an albie whack one unintentionally dead drifted (read- untangling knotted line while crease fly drifts in the water) when nothing else could buy a hit. Here's what I've learned. They work great and they are not bad to tie/fabricate. I use CA glue and more recently Goop. I use a spring clamp or clothes pins to keep the foam in place since the goop takes longer to dry. The CA crease flies are lighter than the goop version but both float. Those Berol marking pens and probably sharpies work great for creating color schemes. Just make a few stripes of Olive, chart, yellow, maybe a few purple dots and then a piece of pipe insulating foam to blend the colors. I'm no artist but I find I'm more capable of coloring then trying to glue on mylar. I don't have the kit and I've seriously considered purchasing it but I seem to get by with the markers and walmart foam. I've also switched to rod builders epoxy - flex coat lite for coating the body, has to dry overnight but it does not yellow and goes on super thin.

#8 ·
Slinger...

... I figured I'd try to tie some crease flies after seeing them in a local store for the bargain price of $6 each ("do you have a layaway program here?"). Saw the kit on line for $20 and couldn't bring myself to buy it. Went to a local craft shop and picked up some cheap sticky-backed white foam, found the instructions on line, and tied a few up. I had a similar issue with liquid cyano getting on my fingers, but then went with a gel cyano which was "easier to avoid" and still worked quite well. I either color the foam with sharpies or use prismatic tape to give the body color, then apply the eyes, and finally coat it with thin Soft Body before putting it on the drying wheel.
The idea of using a clothespin to keep the body clamped together during the curing process is a good one, I'll have to try that. Also, using a rod finish like Gudebrod one-step is an interesting idea.
I'll attach a photo of one of my creations in a few minutes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.