Fly Fishing Forum banner

Selling saddles

5K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
I may be able to aquire a large # of saddles suitible for flatwings.I was going to split them in two and dye them my 12 custom colors. I would sell half saddles for around $16. Any interest? LMK and I may do this. It would be an affordable way to aquire many colors to start tying flatwings or add to your color inventory.
Mike

#5 · (Edited)
Picsator, I have MANY times recomended those very saddles. However, these are CUSTOM dyed. Many people can't or don't want to dye there own. Abrames saddles sell for $30 each. This would be a way to get 2 colors for the price of one.( I would sell them 2 for $30). If you dye your own , great. I have dyed saddles for people in the past and thought some would like this service.

Flyfisha1,
I use olive, yellow,3 blues,2 purples,red,green,chartruse,orange and pink. I can do others by request.

Dave, Yes that would be a good idea.

#9 ·
Mike, Nice looking hackle. Dying your own must bring it to a whole new level.
Those who live in the South Shore MA area know that The Bear's Den and Rodbuilder's Workshop both have custom dyed hackles. I gotten good stuff at both shops and both have 1/2 and whole hackles. They are sponsors and if you can get to either shop you're in for a treat. Word is Smitty uses one grade better than Kenny's hackle Silver vs. Bronze.
Saltwater edge for you RI guys, every color in the rainbow and then some.

#10 ·
One question about dying these...

... can they be dyed with brightly-colored maribou, or is there some secret process? I've made pink maribou by dying a full string of white with one red maribou feather in hot water. Just a general question...

#19 ·
A color for those fish that are still in the closet...

Mike,
You said you'd do other colors by request... how about hot pink? I use this color in some of my bangers and minnow patterns, but getting hot pink barred saddle has been nearly impossible for me. I'd take two saddles in that color were it possible. Let me know...

#25 ·
No your not too late. The saddles will be here in about 2-3 weeks. Than they will be dyed to order.
I would say 5 colors to start; white, yellow,pink,lt purple,olive.
Be careful, this style of tying is addictive!:D
Email me and I will put you on the list w/ what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.