Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ontario Tribs Report

11K views 75 replies 10 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
#1 ·
Took last week off for a trip to NY to fish various Lake Ontario tribs for lake run browns and steelhead.

Stopped in Pulaski on Sunday to fish the DSR in a snowstorm. Only 7 cars in the lot! Lots of fresh steelhead in the river of which I landed 2 out of 5 hookups. I also broke my Sage while fighting a fish which cut the day short.

Next 3 days fished the Oak Orchard and various other small creeks in the Rochester area. Highlights included an 11# hen which hammered an egg pattern at my feet and a 15# buck which fell for a wolly bugger at Oak Orchard. Lots of people on the water. All fish released.

Met up w/Fishyboy and Talented Willie for a few more days on the Salmon river in Pulaski. Cold weather and bright sunshine slowed things down considerably. Not many people hooking up but I managed a 17# buck on a 1 for 4 outing on Thursday. Friday and Saturday were really slow with the crowds and I was lucky enough to go 1 for 1 and 1 for 2 on consecutive days.

All in all, loads of fun on the river and a few laughs with some of the finer gentlemen I have had the pleasure to fish with.

Once I figure out how to post pictures I will try to get the photos up.

Dave :smokin:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice report, I delayed my michigan trip due to low water, no steelhead, and some unannounced honey dews. From my michigan contacts it was a good decision.

Sounds like at least there are numbers of steelies in NY. How about those big brownies, no touches ?

Look forward to the pictures particularly that 15# and 17# we don't get to land many of those out here in log infested tight bended michigan rivers.

Hal

#3 ·
Hal,

Sorry to hear the weather did not cooperate with you. I am still learning this fishery but I think weather impacts it more than any fishery I have ever experienced.

I should have been more specific in my post. The 15# was a big male brown. Have pics too.

I wouldn't say there are a ton of fish in the river right now. The only real chromers I saw were moving up under the shadow of snow on sunday. Lots of browns at the Oak but the standing in line thing gets kind of old quick.

Any ideas on how to get these pics up? Couldn't find instructions in the FAQ section....

Thanks,
Dave

#4 ·
No instructions in FAQs, picture must be no greaterthan 100 x 100 height and width, and 30K bytes. Good luck reducing them, I always have problems.

Can't wait to see the pictures though.

Yep agree I would never wait in line to fish unless I had a 75% probability of touching steel on the first couple of casts and I don't think any place can guarantee that. If you can out there let me know.

Hal

#5 ·
BigDave...Da' Man

I was lucky enough to fish with Big Dave, Talented Willie, and the BIG UNIT this past week on New York's best kept secret...the Salmon River. On Wednesday I had fantastic action on my own for some of the monster lake run browns that frequent the various tribs. this time of the year.(I landed seven browns up to 15-20lbs. and lost a number of others when I had to downsize to #16 trout flies inorder to hookup on these heavily pressured fish.)

All I can say is that I must have used up all of my luck on Wednesday for I seemed to have run out of it for the remainder of our stay(Especially on Friday when I was unable to fish due to an incapacitating condition that struck me all day! Beware of Margo and her friend Flo!) During the remainder of our trip I only managed one very brief hookup on a steelhead and one half dead salmon for my effort. Big Dave on the other hand mustered all his concentration, skill, and luck and proceeded to "school" us all in the art of fishing for chrome. His skill at drifting flies far and deep really proved the difference or maybe it was his secret, experimental flies!

All in all I had a good time despite my inability to catch chrome. The happenings of this weekend will forever be etched into my memory. Good Times....Good Times!

#11 ·
BigDave,

Thanks for the pictures. They were truly awesome steelies and great lakes run browns. Now is the time for the big brownies in the tribs. Lets not post those pictures up here, don't want to get our PNW fly fishing colleagues and big brown trout hunters to excited and interested you know. :devil:

Best

Hal

G
#14 ·
The Steel run is a matter of timing, if you hit it right usually May even June you will have a ball. Nice thing about one river St. Marys is you never know what you will catch. I have caught a spawning King and a stud Rainbow all in the same drift, this was in July. Could not manage to get one Atlantic to hit, but I will be back.

#19 ·
just my $0.02

I would have to say that there is something about the numbers and quality of fish in the LP, and the fish are bigger(which I would never turn down). With Lake Michigan sustaining "perfect" temps throughout the year, it is a steelhead utopia! It allows fish to grow big, and many of the fish are wild. Lake Huron is unique as well. The many rivers and streams that littler the shorline can be void or full of fish, and it is always an adventure. Plus, there are many "no name" streams that harbor wild steelhead that have succesfully spawned. The abundance of forage in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron is incredible. Smelt, perch and alewives are a large part of the diet of Lk Huron and Lk Michigan fish. Yeah so you have crowds at times, but many times you can be by yourself, especially in the remote destinations.

For the UP and Superior north shore....well, it has quality fish as well. What I mean by this is for example, the Erie tributaries. There is little natural reproduction, and fish are smaller but they have numbers or quanity. No doubt..... most Lk Superior fish are wild. Lake Superior does not have as many baitfish, and steelhead tend to feed on invertebrate, mysis shrimp, and smaller numbers of baitfish. They have a shorter growing season, and it takes Superior fish longer to grow. You can always expect to have some steelhead running into later june, and that potential of steel on a dry is possible. You usually are fishing along with wolves, bear and moose...that is neat!:rolleyes: There are little crowds, local dinners, and you probably hear "how's the fishin' eh'.... from the locals! :D

Hey, it is all what you prefer....:hehe:

For me, I will find my tranquilty at my home....the beach!;)

#20 ·
Thats right Dan you can have all of the beachs to your self in the early morning especially, nothing like you and the big lake surf at dawn.

Mark, you can have tranquility and solitude on the LP rivers, you just need to know when and where to go. If you go during the height of the runs well that is what you are going to get. Also having to get up at 4 AM to claim your spot on the river is something I care not to do any more. At one time yes, I would do that, but not any more. Heck I used to hike 2 miles through the woods and high banks cross the river 3 times in the dark to get a couple of spots before any one else. When I got there I was sweating and the heart was pounding etc... God only knows how I ever fished.

The fish are not so important any more, but the fishing and chance for a quiet day of solitude in the outdoors is what is important to me.

North shore of Superior looks mighty tempting though to me.

G
#21 ·
Dan could not have said this better "You can always expect to have some steelhead running into later june, and that potential of steel on a dry is possible. You usually are fishing along with wolves, bear and moose...that is neat! There are little crowds, "

I am no run fisherman, hate crowds and discovered week day fishing back in 1984. When the streams were full of fish and no fisherman any time. weekdays or weekends.

Only one truly huge Steelhead strain in Lake Mi. , Skamanias. problem with them is high mortality rate and way too many fisherman.

If I had a choice I'd fish as far north as possible, sometimes I can't, but when I do it is the most enjoyable fishing I ever had.

You need to try it you may just like it.

#22 · (Edited)
Yep, I agree I know I would like it.

Maybe in 2003 a camping and canoe trip, planning needs to start soon.

BTW, if there is even just a 20% probability of catching a GL steelie on a dry I would give it a go. That has been a career objective for a long time. Have to talk to the guides about that at the show, that is one endevor I would consider hiring the right guide to accomplish the task. However, I bet you would need several days to accomplish it during the prime periods for drys when they are in the rivers and the air temp is greater than the water temps.

Pm Out

G
#23 ·
Steel on dries, ah yes.

Bets fish to do it on Skamania, I have senn them smash floats.

You do have a chance in the UP to peg a steelie on dries, especially in the St. Marys. Rivers holds a bunch of fish year round. May even get an Atlantic to pop up and slurp one off the top.

#25 ·
geeze...

This has made me really excited, and I really would love to take a fish on a dry. It will have to wait, as the opportunities here are slim...

Well, that is my next goal for sure!:D

#26 ·
Some michigan fly fishers were saying on the net this fall they caught some on drys, but who knows what the truth is.

Dave Richey the Out door writer for the Detroit Press who has fished michigan steelhead since the 70s, and was one of the first great lakes steelhead guides and author (i have his book on steelheading) stated he has never had one rise to a dry fly, now that tells you something.

PM Out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.