Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flies for Cape Cod?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
I'm starting to tie for my trip to Cape Cod (Wellfleet) at the end of Sept. After tying a few larger versions of Leland's Popper (blue and white, flashy, wire leader), I intend to tie up some basics: Deceivers, Clousers, Half and Halfs.... I even have some ersatz flatwing type flies for west coast salmon that would probably work....

My question: What sizes and colors beyond the basic #2 and 1/0 in chart/white, blue/white, olive/white? Any baitfish specifc patterns? Any "Don't come to the Cape without this one" patterns?

My fishing will mainly be from the beach, fooling around until something seems to work. 9wt, mult-tip line. Cursing and tailing loops--the usual.:rolleyes:

Appreciate the help!

Tom

#4 ·
Tom,
Like Double Haul said the bunker/menhaden pattern is a good bet. You can get a good look at what they look like by doing a google search for "menhaden" click on the image option. It will at least give you a glimpse of what you are trying to imitate.
Good Luck,
Aaron

#6 ·
Tom,

I think the list you provided should get the job done as long as you have
those patterns in a variety of sizes and color combinations. If you're in wellfleet
make sure you have a bunch of flies and wire (bluefish central).

If you catch big migrating pods in the surf the pattern will matter little. Getting something big and flashy in front of them will work. Being able to locate the fish is the key...dont' be afraid to move around...

#8 ·
Thanks for the help--how big should bunkers be?

I checked out the DNA baitfish link--flies the size of nickles and quarters seem cool, but other research I've done show HUGE bunker patterns.

I'm inclined to not worry about it... and just have some big Deceivers and the like on hand.

Thanks again!

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.