Fly Fishing Forum banner

fly lines?

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
Hi

I fish with a loomis glx classic 5wt 9foot.
Ive settled on the Wulff triangle taper over the years and loved it.
I picked up a new one recently, but they've changed something
and the line seems very slow when in the air, and im unhappy with it.

I strung up my old line, and it casts much better.

Looking for a change and want to know what people recommend.

The last time i tried a different line was the 444sl which i didnt much care for.

thanks

#2 ·
Is it possible Wulff put the wrong line in the box or maybe some other quality control problem?

Unless the head profile has changed significantly, I wouldn't expect that much difference for the same rating?

I'm wondering if others have noticed the same problem - there are a lot of Wulff fans here!

#4 ·
I've used Cortland lines for a long time, but lately it seems to me they haven't been keeping up with other manufacturers in terms of new product rollouts. I wonder if they're slipping back or just happen to have a really good set of lines.
How do folks feel about Cortland lately? Are they slipping?

#5 ·
Can't speak of the new one but I have an old 444SL DT on my 5wt that just won't quit a great line. Perhaps they changed the formula on the newer lines. Rio seems to be the line that everyone is using. Cortland needs to be more competitive or the new guy on the block(RIO) will overtake them if they haven't already. Just my .02 FishHawk

#6 ·
I've always used cortland lines and been somewhat satisfied. 444SL floater is nice casting but seems to grit up and get a bit sticky in the warm weather. My first 444SL clear intermediate (early version) gets sticky in the warm weather but the second has been better.

444Qd's were good but cracked at the joint between the head and running line. 555QD's I like, they're slick and sink like a stone, heads seem to be denser than the 444's. They are less chuck and duck in thier casting quality than the 444QD's, probably due to the head taper.

555 tropical lines cast nice but seem to take up a lot of spool space.

So the bottom line is the cortlands seem to be a bit inconsistent to me. The casting quality seems to be more nuteral on the non QD's, which I like, than other brands I've tried.

My last several lines have been wulff's and after getting used to the more aggresive taper I've come to like them (almost chucked the first one on first outing). Clear intermediate developed a lot of cracks after a full season but I suspect that had to due with storage issues (to much time in the truck, differential expansion between core and coating).

#7 ·
I've never tried the sci angler or wulff but I've had many Cortland lines. I guess I stuck with them for so long because their customer service was good but I'm off that project. AirFlo all the way for me. Fred, try the 40+ lines, you'll never look back. I use one of their full clear int for better presentation but since my cast is nothing to write home about the integrated heads get my vote.
As for the 5wt. I've got an AirFlo floater that I'm very very pleased with 7000 series I think.

#8 ·
J3 coating update

Wulff has implemented a new coating "J3" the box and spool should indicate if your line has it. Billed as big improvment but pretty new still.

Adrian said:
"Is it possible Wulff put the wrong line in the box or maybe some other quality control problem?

Unless the head profile has changed significantly, I wouldn't expect that much difference for the same rating?"

This could be. It might pay to try another of same class.

#9 ·
I have been using the Airflo Delta tapers or what ever they call 'em now for a few years on my trout rods. They appear to be similar in form to the wolf lines.

Flytalk did you get in contact with Wulff & see what they have to say?

You might try that route. I know I had an issue with a Rio line & they sent me a new one after I sent the bad one back. Maybe Wulff will be as accommodating

#10 ·
I'm using a 5wt triangle taper of last years model and I've found it to be a whole lot better than the Scientific Angler I threw before. I cannot speak for this years wulf model, but i do know that the taper shouldn't be a problem.
I'd say give the line a massive cleaaning and stretching, and if it stil doesn't work talk to the company.

#11 ·

Hi guys

thanks for the reply.

The wulff im unhappy with is the new J3 coating, just bought it so its new and clean.

My previous wulff is about 3 years old, but it casts much better despite the
wear and tear its received.

I contacted wulff and they've informed me that aside from the coating, nothing has changed.

the only major change was back in 2000 when they changed from the intermediate 5/6 weight to a 5wt.

They've suggested that i return the line and they will swap it over.

Whilst on this topic, what are your thoughts on the
SA expert distance, and RIO gold

thanks

#12 ·
Fly line grain weights can vary a little (even between the "same" lines). I would take Wulf up on their offer. You might get a line that is closer to your old one.

I like the SA long cast line, but they are very different fron the triangle's taper. For the glx, I wouldn't get a line that is "heavy" ("for fast action rods). They tend to make a sweet rod like the glx feel ponderous and slow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.