Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spinning Deer Hair

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
Been trying to tie some deer hair flies (like the waller waker) and find the suckers quite challenging to put it nicely. Does anyone know of an internet site that demonstrates the process? Further, are there any recommendations on a video that steps you through it?

Thanks,

ws

#3 ·
I don't know that fly but one of the keys to spinning is packing the hairs in after each spin...then cuting down with a razor blade or the regular sissors.. you also need to do several wraps infront of each spin to lock the portion in... easier said... I hope the previous thread helps but to tell the truth it is best to have some one show you . (Also, you don't have to pull down that hard...no need in breaking the thread and don't use a kevlar thread since it will cut right though the deer hair.)

#4 ·
One of the tips that I learned was to put the hook body into the center of the bundle of hair, in lieu of placing the hair on top of the hook shank and trying to pull it around. The spin comes out almost perfectly even done this way.

But Striblue has it correct, it's easier to see it done than explain. Kinda like trying to "tell" someone how to drink out of a straw.

John

#5 ·
ws,

On 1/4/02 I posted a similar question on this board. Just search for the phrase "Stacking Deer Hair" and you should find the thread. I received lots of comments about working with deer hair in that thread so it should help you out a bit.

Just FYI.

-Mike

#6 ·
Thanks all! The comments and the site listings will help a great deal. Sure would have been easier if my intro to fly tying video had mentioned that hair spins better on a bare shank - duh.

As for the washer trick, a question: You use the washer to pack the hair previously spun and remove before tying-in the next clump, right? Not necessarily a dumb question considering the varying size of washers' holes... And the commercially available hair packer; use it to pack the hair but is it also used to keep the hair out of the way for the next clump? I seem to have lost a great deal of my manual dexterity with the passing years.:(

ws

#8 ·
Watersprite. I got a video by Chris Helm on tying with Deer Hair. Will bring it with me on my next visit. It shows how to spin it and stack it. But knowing you I doubt if it will help :devil: . And since you like to buy things I paid 19.95 for it,but I found out tying those things were too hard so I don't use it anymore.

I know I'm a wimp But some times buying flies are cheaper that trying to tie them.

#9 ·
If I'm ever in the area

I'll show you how to spin deer hair. I actually don't use a stacker, I push it back with my fingers. Only good thing about my job, lifting boxes all day and carrying 70# boxes by my fingertips walking down cliffsides has made my fingers like natural stackers. But, I've been tempted to buy one anyways. But I do a good job myself in pushing them back. It's not too hard to spin hair, but a bare hook helps quite a bit. Problem comes when you tie up walkers and such. Having tail and wings. YIKES!!! I was self taught, so probably have missed some simple easy techs. But I will alot of times only make tail as far as the thread I use to cinch it down instead of running down the hook to help build the body. I make some nice steelhead skaters and other stacked deer hair creations. Not the best, but I do okay. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.