Fly Fishing Forum banner

Scientific Angler Lines

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  sayow 
#1 ·
I have used SA lines for years, but lately, about 5 years, I have had trouble with cracking, and the finish separating from the core. The company is good at replacing lines, but their replacements, in my opinion isn't any better than the original. The first line I sent back in 1998 was a Striper line, which they said was a Tarpon. They replaced it with a Cold Weather Striper, with a letter saying stop using a mucilage dressing. I will admit that the line stunk, but I never used a dressing. The Striper line that they sent me in 1998 did the same thing, cracked, and separated from the core. They just sent me another Cold Weather Striper, WF-10-S Coldweather, same line type that I returned in October 1998. Great company, except product in my opinion, isn't acceptable. Anyone want to trade a Cortland 444 Camo 8 weight for a new SA WF10-S ? I asked the company to let me know what they found about the line I returned, they, as of yet, haven't.

#6 ·
Rio Flylines

About four years ago, after encountering cracking on Cortland flylines, I switched to Rio, and have been very pleased with the performance and wearability. The lines that I have used are the Striper intermediate and Striper sinktips. The tapers load the rod and turnover heavy flies quite nicely. They shoot well with minimal tangling in the shooting basket, if a little water is left in the basket for lubrication. Cracking has been non-existent.

All my flylines, including freshwater, are now Rio. I believe their R&D in coatings and tapers makes them the benchmark for flylines.

Simms

#7 ·
SI Lines

Wow - this is the opposite of my opinion. This may be because SI keeps changing their Striper lines without telling even their dealers. The local reps know, however. For instance they have recently (past 4 months) discontinued my favorite Striper line they called SURF COLOR. It's a WF Sinker 1.5" - 2.00"/ sec. The companion line was a Floater. The new line is also called SURF but it is a 6" / sec line and its companion line is an Inter at 1 1/2" /sec.

I think Rio's are a little heavy for their weight class. O.K for some stiff rods like GLX 12 wt but loads other softer rods too much.

By the way, I have never had a Cortland, Rio or SI line coating crack or soften. I use many Cortland, Rio and Si.

#8 · (Edited)
SA Mastery

I have been using the SA Mastery SW lines (floaters and intermediates) for fishing in the UK coastal waters and can relate to the experiences of the previous posters. For the price we pay in the UK £52 ($91US) I expected these to be good lines that lasted well. First impressions were good; the lines cast well and handled the tricky winds we get here, with relative ease. A few months in though and both lines were dropping in performance and proving to be generally unsatisfactory. The floater even started to perform like an intermediate line.

I have now learned to live with the fact that fly lines are going to perish in these conditions and rather than splash out on an expensive line went down the ‘disposable’ route. Buying cheaper lines where the pain of having to replace them would not hurt as much. I replaced all my lines with the cheaper Cortland 333 (£32 or $56US) and although these are not rated for SW have performed admirably.

Although on the other had in my view the SA XPS is about the best line out their for small river fishing.

#9 ·
For what it's worth, I've loved my new SciAng Tarpon Intermediate line (surf color) all year. Casts beautifully, particularly in windy conditions, for anything I'd like to target along the Long Island coast as well as Martha's Vineyard until the temperature gets low. Roll casts well and then shoots out quickly. Then, when it's cold, I switch to my other favorite, and all time favorite until getting the SciAngler Tarpon line, the Airflo Cold Saltwater Clear Intermediate line which NEVER, or almost never, tangles. If it does, it's quite easy and quick to untangle it. I only use those two lines unless I need a sinking line, in which case I use the Teeny 350 in the LI surf.

#10 ·
I have used them all, and the SA "Striper" line was the best of them. Cast great, lasted as long as any of the others.
I am amazed at how different everyones experience with gear is.
I personally wouldn't fish with Cortland lines if they were free. Except for the DT 444 peach colored lines on my bamboo. They are excelent.

#11 ·
Eddie said:
I am amazed at how different everyones experience with gear is.
It often amazes me, I consider myself to be reasonably careful with my gear always rinsing the SW stuff after a session and giving reels and rods the once over.

Some stuff that has seem me right for years others have found deficiencies in after a matter of months. Just goes to prove that the only thing you can rely on consistently is inconsistency

#12 ·
S.A. Lines

Perhaps those of you that clean your lines after each use are washing / rinsing with detergent i/o soap. Can't use detergent on fly lines, which by the way is the predominent cleaning product out there.
I just rinse in fresh water, or run lines through a wet cloth. I have about 3 dozen lines (Cortland, S.A., Rio) and all are like new. They range from brand new to 11 years old. I still have my orig line, which is Cortland's 444 I in a 10wt.

#13 ·
I too have had my SA striper lines crack and break up, particularly the smaller wieght sizes, 6wt for instance as opposed to an 11wt. I know when I cleaned and dressed them they performed better. Ye old squeking sounds when the line goes over the guides is a good clue to dress your line.
Twisted sections made my tangle rates go up too. I plan on trying another type of line for my latest fly rod for the intermediate sink line.

My tarpon taper SA has been goood without any cracking for years. It tangles abit in the cold and when it's twisted or not dressed regularly.

Greg

#14 ·
I quit buying SA products 4 years ago, the last line I had from them, Air Cell, cracked and peeled halfway through a season, all on freshwater. The Wulff lines were no better, and the triangle taper they were touting as the next great thing, was pittiful. Around here the best we've found both for castability and durability are the Cortland lines. I use a Rocket taper Cortland Lazer 444 9wtF, and it shoots and rolls over the big #2 bombers and streamers great, despite the wind...
Tight lines!
Sayow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.