Fly Fishing Forum banner

Will's Fly Fishing TV show

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  FlyFishAR 
#1 ·
A couple of months ago Will, my 6 year old son, and I shot a show for Hunter's Journal on the Outdoor Channel. That show will air the rest of this week. He lands some great fish including an 8lb rainbow and 25 inch cutthroat. The Outdoor Channel show times are as follows:

Monday Morning February 3rd 8:00am Central (9est/6pst)
Wednesday Morning February 5th 11:00am Central (12est/9pst)
Friday Night February 7th 8:30pm (9:30est/6:30pst)

We had allot of fun shooting this together. Too bad they didn't have time to show all the interaction with father and son. They pretty well stuck to fishing. I was really proud of how well he did. The fact that they caught it on film was just icing on the cake. Fishing with your son is the greatest fun a dad can have. :hehe:

John

#4 ·
Web Site....

I checked Outdoor Channel's website for "programs", and it says, for Hunter's Journal,

Mon: - 12 PM EST
Wed: - 9 AM EST
Fri: - 9:30 PM EST

Subtract an hour for CST, etc.

Glad to hear you are on with your son - he will treasure this for life.

I don't know the accuracy of their programming forecast, but I hope this helps.

BobK:)

#6 ·
Well they got the shows mixed up darn it.......

Well it looks like the Outdoor Channel has switched shows. I have been told that it will air next week in lieu of this week. They sent two show tapes at the same time and evidently programming at the Outdoor Channel got them mixed up. I'll update everybody next week.

Sorry for the confusion.

John

#8 ·
Yes when is it, it when up on to my TV flyfishing show radar screen this week. Its the Hunter Journal so I will look at OLN TV web site tonight for the schedule, it may be listed.

Let us know

BTW, where you have you been John up to some secret things I suspect.

PM Out

#9 ·
John the lurker.......

Sorry guys...I've been reading but I've been so busy I haven't had much time to respond lately. The production company sent two shows to the Outdoor channel at the same time. Evidently they got the show mixed up so they crossed the schedules. Will's show comes on the 10th,12th and the 14th. The schedule is as follows, Outdoor Channel, Hunter's Journal

Monday the 10th .............11am CST..............12 noon EST/9am PST
Wednesday the 12th ........8am CST ..............9am EST/7am PST
Friday the 14th ................8:30 CST .............9:30 EST/7:30PST

Will caught some good fish that day. Watching a 6 year old loose a 32" fish is quite a site. At least the fish gave him a good jump. He lands some other nice fish though.

John

PS: I shot another show on the White last weekend that will probably air later this summer.

#14 ·
Will done good!

Wow - he really did a great job! I couldn't get over him, grinning from ear to ear, giving a double "thumbs up"! Tell him personally for me that he really is a good fisherman, just like his Dad.

I hope you made some video copies for his grandparents, and also for him to keep his memories alive for the future!

That brings back memories of me with my three year old son, Mike, on opening day many years ago - a snowy day, and he even had to go to the bathroom - had to undress him in the snow so he could go! It was a cold, icy day, too - but he didn't complain. Of course, he had to use a spinning rod at that tender age. And when his big rainbow hit, I let him play it himself . All the other fishermen yelled "Hey - he's got a big one! Take the rod away from the kid and land it." Yeah, of course I let him play and land it himself, offering words of encouragement. Somewhere around here, I still have a snapshot of that big occasion, and, though almost thirty years ago, he still talks about it!

BobK

:D

#16 ·
Yeah...

That father and son time spent is great. Makes you glad to be alive.

Now, I'm in to the "grandfather" relationship mode. My granddaughters are getting big enough to go now, and are interested. The grandsons are still too small, but a couple of more years!

This is the year for my granddaughters, though. (Incidentally, I broke 'em in when they were a couple of years old on sunnies, just to get 'em started!)

BobK

#18 ·
John,

I saw the entire show, but I had to miss the last half hour of "Remember The Titans" . Since I had seen it probably 20 times before no big deal. Big football family here you know.

Will was very non chalant about his first TV show. Looked real patient to me, going to be a heck of fisherman.

Did not know they made waders that small !

Bet I know what fly was being used.

Congratulations on the show !

Liked your Texas accent also.

Best

Hal

Pm Out

#19 ·
Hal:

Will had a set of Cabela's waders with a big logo on the front of them. Hodgeman was one of the show sponsors and they weren't too happy about Will's waders. When they found out that they didn't make them that small they got over it pretty quick. I wish will would have landed that one big rainbow. It was probably half again as big as the one we got into the net. The one he landed was only about 28" but the one he lost must have been in excess of 32". It would have made a terrific show at least. you'll have to bring the boys down and we can do some fishing.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.