Fly Fishing Forum banner

Garter Snake Chasing Froggy!

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FrenchCreek 
#1 ·
Last summer I saw a large pike go after a garter snake that was chasing a small frog, I cast to the fish after she ate the snake but she was not interested and the frog was eaten by another pike that was around. Maybe this summer, things will change!
Froggy is simply a spun deer body shaped to a larger size and flat on the bottom, with rubber band legs to which I tied a knot and marked up with a green sharpie.
The garter is tied with an underwing of chartreuse "fish hair" and an overwing of black "fish hair" with the curlies at the front end, there is a bent hackle tied in front of the hair, then a yellow SW popper head, shaved flat underneath, marked with a black sharpie and googly eyes for fun & effect. the whole thing is about 10 inches long and very slim except for the head!
Both are tied on a Talon hook, needle point, size 1/0

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Pete, are you going to try both flies at the same time? Snake fly with a froggy teaser! Of course, even with a rod heavy enough to cast the combo, things will get crazy in a hurry if you hook 2 pike at once :hihi: . Use the rod with the NQA warranty and have that video camera ready!

Q

#5 ·
DOUBLE HITS!

Hi Q, I did not try that tandem set up last year for pike but for sure I will do so this year while up in Northern Saskatchewan.
I've done it for trout in stillwaters and my record is 3 fish on 3 flies on one rod. I tried for 4 but I could not cast the flies without tangling at least one of them.
I can't imagine what two 15 pounders will do on a 9 Wt.:Eyecrazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.