Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Spey Rod Build

10K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Greg Pavlov 
#1 ·
OK...so i am going to do another Rod Build! :D

I am considering a kit from Bob Meiser. The rod will be a 11'-7" 5,6,7 Highlander Classic. I will probably do a maple burl lower handle and maple accents on the upper handle.

I had a long, insightful, informative conversation with Bob and he presented some pretty neat options for reel seats, guides etc. Man-o-man he does some wild and beautiful work! :whoa:

So.... anybody own/fish this rod model? Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks-

Jim

#2 ·
The plot thickens..
Will be doing a "ready to wrap" kit. Bob does the handle and i will wrap the guides. Bob talked me out of the wood handle...too heavy for this light rod. But the Meiser corkwork is very nice.

Going to be a super rod! Hopefully will have for
April fishing! :D

#3 ·
Good call there.

Jim Miller said:
The plot thickens..
Will be doing a "ready to wrap" kit. Bob does the handle and i will wrap the guides. Bob talked me out of the wood handle...too heavy for this light rod. But the Meiser corkwork is very nice.

Going to be a super rod! Hopefully will have for
April fishing! :D
Unless you've got the equipment to spin the butt section it's darned hard to properly build/sand down a handle on a 2-hander. Getting that bit behind you will cut your construction time down by close to 2/3'rds.

fae

#4 ·
Got the rod. Actually decided to let Bob build the entire rod. A few mix ups on the order....but the rod is beautiful and I can't wait to fish it! (next week!!!!) :D

Tim @ Speyco is milling me a wonderful 3 3/4" 8.5 oz. reel to balance the rod.
Should show up this week!

Man it is like Christmas....and I'm a little kid! :whoa: :D

#5 ·
Good call on the SpeyCo reel. I've got four of them now. Three 'spey rod' sized and one light 'trouter.'

They're the most solid reel I've ever had my hands on ...... and wait, just wait, till you hear line coming off one of those Puppies! You can hear it 100 yards away! Sounds like an old Hardy on Steroids. :smokin:

Better yet they cost hundreds less that many 'major brand name' reels that have had so many holes drilled to them there's no weight left to help balance the rod.

Fred

#6 ·
fredaevans said:
Good call on the SpeyCo reel. I've got four of them now. Three 'spey rod' sized and one light 'trouter.'

They're the most solid reel I've ever had my hands on ...... and wait, just wait, till you hear line coming off one of those Puppies! You can hear it 100 yards away! Sounds like an old Hardy on Steroids. :smokin:

Better yet they cost hundreds less that many 'major brand name' reels that have had so many holes drilled to them there's no weight left to help balance the rod.

Fred
Why would you want to hear the line coming off your reel? Do you need it to let you know you have a fish on?or just to let everyone else know your tight.When I'm fishing ,especially at night the last thing I want to do is telegraph to all that I'm into fish.I remove all clickers from my reels.

#8 ·
:chuckle: No striper sightings yet,still a few weeks away.I know about the cool sound of a reel screaming,I'm bored ,looking to stir the pot:biggrin: :hihi: :lildevl: :devil: .Day time no big deal with the clicker,but I was serious at night ,optimum stealth mode rules are in full effect.

#9 ·
PEC54 said:
Why would you want to hear the line coming off your reel? Do you need it to let you know you have a fish on?or just to let everyone else know your tight.When I'm fishing ,especially at night the last thing I want to do is telegraph to all that I'm into fish.I remove all clickers from my reels.
Ever wonder why 50 year old Hardies don't last 24 hours in the Classified section?:eek:

Nuff said.

#12 ·
yup!
3 rods to play with:
5,6,7 11'-7' Meiser
678 13'-4" CND Solstice
12'-6" 8/9 Loomis Stinger (hoping this will be a good surf stick)

I may be selling a lot of my single hand rods.....stay tuned! :Eyecrazy:

No stripers spawning in the Hudson River Yet! (at least not in Albany,NY)

#13 ·
Fred
Yes Tim @ Speyco was great to work with. Nice fellow who really tries to please.
We have to get him some help however....the guy is WAY overworked!
Hope to have my 3 3/4" river switch reel this week. (with brass face and Snake handle)
.......going to be great!

#14 ·
Brass face and snake handle.

Oh My God! That will be too cool for words.

As for Tim being 'over-worked' he/I have corresponded for months. Had to advise him to 'be careful of what you wish, it could come true.' First time I saw (Internet) one of his reels it took me less than 90 seconds to put in my (first) order.

Of that 90 seconds, 30 were taken up by hosting my old butt off my chair to go fetch my wallet. :hihi: Being a 'Retired Banker' those conversations/sharing have been interesting, in a good way.

"If you build it, they will come" sort of stuff. And Lord Knows! They came.

A very, very good thing as these reels are not just a functional fishing tool, but a genuine work of Art. You look at the photos of the reels here/his web site ... that's exactly what you'll get in your box. Tim's a machinist of the highest order.
:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.