Fly Fishing Forum banner

Heading to the Outer Banks (NC) in May...

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rooster 
#1 ·
My dad (who lives in Virginia) won a week at a house on the Outer Banks of N. Carolina in a charity auction, and my wife and I decided to stay at the house with him and my stepmom for a week in May since we were planning on visiting around then anyway. Here's a link to the house:
http://www.surforsound.com/properties/298.html

It's in Salvo and is right on the beach. My dad is also a big fisherman, which is where I got the bug, so I see quite a few nights of striper fishing. Anybody been down there before? What can I expect for striper fishing there in May? I'll be bringing along my fly rod, but I'll also be doing some bait fishing (don't condemn me! :) ) since that's what my dad and I always did when I was younger.

#2 ·
We used to stay in Rodenthe at the end of June. Not much striper fishing in the surf at that time..... but good fishing for "rock" in the sound up by the bridge pilings to Manteo. Fish up to 10 lbs or so. Also if it is a warm Spring there may be drum and cobia in late May. There are good size sharks to be caught at night right off the beach! But it might change your mind about swimming the next day! :whoa:
Off shore is a great time ... lots of yellowfin Tuna & Mahi. They do "make up" trips where you sign on to make a party of 6. (you don't need six people in your party..... the marina will match you up with other people to fill the boat). Lot's of cool stuff out in the "Stream".
PM me if you need further info.

#4 ·
Juro
The drum I spoke of are "Bull Reds" ... the big guys. Others (not me) were getting them in the surf at the point /shoals in Buxton. When we were there the Sound had some small reds ..... but the striper fishing was the best bet. These were not the big winter stripes of Oregon Inlet.... but resident school fish that hang around the bridge pilings. Seems it's all dependent on water temp for what species of fish is around at that time. BTW: lot's of tinker bluefish in the surf... fun on a 4 wt. :)

#5 ·
May can be fun lots of 1 to 3 pound blues --some schoolie bass around Oregon Inlet at dark and first light. Big reds could still be at Cape Point. If water temps are up in the upper 60's to low 70's the years first cobia should be swimming by as well as a great showing of blacktip sharks.
Best bet is going to be the smaller bluefish--lots of tackle shops like Frank and Frans in Avon, Red Drum in Buxton, Frisco Rod and Gun in Frisco and TW's in nags head all should have current info --not much fly info but info.

6 to 9 wts with sink tips and intermediate lines are the best--good selection of closers

Check out the "Dredge Slough" just before you get to Avon on the sound side. It starts at Little Kinnakeet Lifesaving Station 7 miles north of Avon and runs to Avon. It is a slough about 100 yards off the beach.
I do not know the rules about posting links --i am posting this one on the Dredge Slough --if they ain't allowed whoops!
http://oregoninlet.us/flyfishing/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=243

Good luck and enjoy your time

#6 ·
It sounds like there is some beach action to be found, but unfortunately we won't have a boat to get to the good stuff. :( My dad has 3 boats but for various reasons they can't come along (one is a 46' yacht, one a 28 ft that's too wide to legally trailer because of the 10' beam, and his 18' aluminum is leaking from somewhere for years and he never bothered to get it fixed).

Any very specific info on where to fish from the beach would be appreciated since we don't know the area at all. A couple of places have been mentioned, but I couldn't find specific info on them through Google. Thanks in advance!

#7 ·
you best source of beach action is going to be the local tackle shops. They can point in the right direction both for sound side and surf fishing. Hatteras Jacks in Rodanthe and Fishing Hole in Salvo are going to be your best bets for the closest info. Our Beach structure changes from strom to storm--we ain't got any rocks sand only. Neither shop knows fly fishing and the closest fly shop to the Outer Banks is 5 to 6 hours away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.