Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great White Shark - Top Water Seal Flies

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
Did any one catch the Discovery Channel on Sunday afternoon ?

They had a special on Great White Shark research in Africa off of a place called Seal Island where they come to feed on the large population of seals. The scientists would drag a decoy seal made out of plastic about 30 yards in back of the boat to induce the Great Whites to come up for them. Just like sail and marlin fishing a teaser fly of sorts.

Well these Great Whites came flying out of the water landing on the seal and attacking it. These were whites that weighed 1,000 to 2,000 pounds or more. Supposedly only place in the world whites will come out of the water to attack a target.

Imagine making a top water seal imitation fly ? I know its been a long winter and I need to get out soon. Oh well it would probably be the most exciting fly fishing we could hope for. Maybe it is not fly fishing ?

Quick call Larry Dahlberg and it could be his ultimate hunt for big fish adventure. This would be serious blue water fly fishing.

:whoa: :whoa:

See less See more
#3 ·
What is the dressing?

Pmflyfisher,
Is this seal imitation fly tied on a tube or a hook?
What is the dressing ?

In Scotland where we can use real seal skins the dressing is relatively easy:

Hook: Large 70/00
Tag : Copper wire.
Tail: Golden Pheasant topping ( this keeps with the traditional dressing)
Body; Baby seal skin, white is a lovely colour.
Rib Silver tinsel
Hackle Large cock ( whole bird)
Jungle Cock eyes (optional)

Fred's Bruce & Walker 18' rod is suitable for casting this fly. Make sure a barbless hook to ensure easy catch & release, see cooment by Stone.

Malcolm

#4 ·
I saw that special back in August when they first aired it...it contained some of the most amazing footage I had ever seen!!! :eyecrazy:

I think we should transplant these sharks into the waters of Puget Sound and the Wa. coast and let them go at...as in taking out every seal and sea lion that resides in this state!!

:devil:

#5 ·
Willie, remember seeing another post with the "dressing" for

this fly. But hazy memory of a recommendation, there was also a suggestion for using a 3-5 foot section of anchor chain for a shock-tippet.:smokin:

And that Bruce and Walker might just be a tad on the heavy side for these fish. Half an hour with it, casting for the kings, with a 400 grain head is just about enough. :eyecrazy:

#7 ·
I have a charter booked with Capt Al Anderson out of Snug Harbor R.I. to target tuna on the fly. This trip will take place in early Oct.
Capt. Al came to a CCA meeting on Cape Cod and gave a presentation on offshore tuna on the fly as well as conventional gear. This guy is the top banana when it comes to tuna fishing, at least in these parts, so the trip should be quite a learning experiance. Especially since Dr. David Ross, author of "The Fishermans Ocean" is the one who invited me to go along, It's his charter actually.
I think, at this time of the season, we will be hooking up mostly to F/A's and bonito, although, as Al's slide show revealed he has brought many of the REAL tuna to the boat with a flyrod as well.
So, I know it's a long time to go, but keep this section alive and maybe I can learn a thing or 2 before the trip and , of course I'll post a report when the trip is thru.
I think offshore flyfishing will become more and more common as we all continue to seekout more ways to enjoy our sport. (and spend more money)

#8 ·
Heck yeah!

I'll be doing offshore ffing for quite a while this Summer; should have some interesting tid bits for those interested by Mid July. How about drifting a sea turtle fly for tiger and bull sharks off the Southeast Coast? Would my 9-wt. handle that?:eyecrazy:

#9 ·
PM, yes, I saw it a couple times..incredible when they jump out of the water..... Case... That should be a great charter... I will try for a Tuna Charter in October with Nat and Derrek at First light Anglers..but this is a must for me this year.

#10 ·
:eyecrazy: I thought that I was the only one who likes Blue water flyfishing. It is not as easy as some like to lead one to believe. I have done it for a few years. One time we were fishing for tuna south of Block Island in a 24 foot Formula, cleaning a yellow fin, and washing down the boat a great white almost as long as the boat came right up along side, the dorsal fin had to stick 3 feet out of the water, no flies for him. Having had mako sharks come up behind the boat two at a time, and throwing flies at them is something to try, have been unable to catch a small 8 foot Mako yet, but still am trying. Mahi- Mahi's and 15 lb Albacore really make Bluewater fishing with a flyrod a great experience. Looking forward this year to try and make a video about fishing offshore, if I could get somemore video of shark fishing I would be happy. I have one already of my grandson fighting, and landing a 186 lb Mako, actual weight on a scale in Montaup Harbor. I haven't posted much here lately as there doesn't seem to be much interest.

#11 ·
One of the guys I work with was in South Fla. recently on vacation and went out with a guide for the day, tarpon fishing (this guy normally fishes for trout in Ohio and the Catskills); after a fruitless morning of casting to tarpon, they ended up catching a few sharks on the fly rod. Nothing too large, but nonetheless he said it was great fun! Just keep 'em off the leader!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.