Fly Fishing Forum banner

4 pc. or 5 pc. What the heck?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Bob Pink 
#1 ·
My next rod will certainly be another I can travel with. I already have one rod that is a 4 pc. and the tube is 30 1/2" long. It fits into my luggage with little room to spare but it fits ok.
So I'm wondering, why would anyone go with the 5 pc. ? Or evan a 7 pc. ?
Does anyone notice a difference in performance between a 4 and a 5 pc.? I'd really like to know what the experiences are out there with travel rods. My gut instinct tells me the fewer pieces the better. But in the last year it seems I hear people say "hey... I got the new Sage 17 piece travel rod...it's awesome!" Thoughts?

Lefty

#3 ·
Terry...I have a 5 piece Winston BL-5 and I can not tell the difference with it and 2 piece rods ,nor my 3 and 4 piece one's. The only problem is her is more potential for the ferrels to become undone during long periods of casting.... but that maybe because I have not secured them as well as I should.

#5 ·
I have several 2 pc rods. a three piece, several 4 pc and a 5 pc rod. I'm not bragging, I'm just glad I don't drink. I find it hard to control my urges in a fly shop. Anyway, my favorite rod by far is my 5 pc Winston LT. The action is wonderful and there's no compromise in performance that I can see with this multi-piece rod. The shorter 5 pc rod case is also more convenient when traveling.

#7 ·
I've found that a little parafin or beeswax on the male end
of the ferrule has helped not only in keeping ferrules tight,
but makes them MUCH easier to separate at the end of
a day/week/month/season....

--jared

PS I too have a BL5 and while a little soft, mine is a 7wt,
they are sweet rods. perhaps not what I'd pick if it's blowing more than 15-20, but sweet all the same

#8 ·
Ferrulue Wax

Jared and other SUFFERS of the loose joints:devil:

A while back there was a thread? regarding lube for ferrules and I believe that Jaro mentioned also using Lip Balm tubes or Film canisters to prevent it running away when it got warm in the summer. I believe that you are experiencing the same problem when it is applied to the ferrule and things get warm in the summer.

I posted a response to this regarding using Bees wax and the natural product is even a bit better as it may have a bit of natural rosins in it. The heart of this is that Bees wax has a HIGHER melting than standard Parrifin hence it stays where it has been put better at the higher temperatures.

-------My .02 saltRon

#9 ·
I'm not positive on this but the Bl-5 by Winston was made a 5 piece not for travel but as part of the performance that this rod is so famous for. Though it sure travels nicely on a plane or out of site in your vehicle.
I know recently I bought the Winston what is it XTL 3 piece fast action rod, both rods are 8 weights. Though a nice rod and casts a sink tip as well as any single handed rod it does not match up to the BL-5 for casting a floating line.
What I hate about both rods is that they do not come apart evenly and to carry them in the front of the pickup without putting them completely away in the case is an accident waiting to happen. If I take the rods apart as close to the middle as possible I come up with a 3.5 foot section and 5.5 foot section. One of these days the long section will find its way out the bottom of the passenger door just before the door is closed.
My BL-5 had problems with the bottom two sections coming apart, sent it back to the factory and they fixed whatever the problem was. As far as the paraffin wax idea it works but make sure you clean it completely off and apply new wax from time to time. The longer it's on the rod the more dirt you pick up. It's a terrible sound to hear sand moving up inside your ferrule as you put your rod together.

#10 ·
Terry,
I bought a Redington Wayfarer this fall and found no noticable difference between a 5pc and a 3pc of similar action. I'll agree that you need to develop a pattern that allows you to stop and check the ferrules / alignment and tightness while in the heat of the battle....
I do love the fact that the tube is about 20 - 22" long! Stealth transporting is nice.
If you are coming to the Marlboro show you can stop and see Rich S at FlyRod&Reel Outfitters in Marlboro Center. He'd be happy to send you out into the driveway with one to test....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.