Fly Fishing Forum banner

heck of a day! caught too many to count!

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  yont illeraz 
#1 ·
Well, first of all, I wasn't fly fishing. :lildevl: Sorry! :tsk_tsk: I took the day off work for some fishing yesterday, and I needed to cover a lot of water since I don't know where the fish are in this 200+ acre lake this time of year. It's all the same depth so they could be anywhere! Plus the wind really blows across this lake a lot, so fly casting from the float tube can get downright dangerous! So, the fly rod was out. I was out for 4 hours in the morning from 6:15-10:15 with not even a strike, but I did get darn cold. I then went back at about 1 pm, and decided to try out a new Rapala shallow shad rap I picked up this winter. Well, I'm glad I did! This is a super weedy lake and there's a ton of pickerel, and I finally left at 6:15 because I was tired of unhooking the slimy little buggers! I only used the one lure all night, and I tallied up 7 bass landed and more pickerel than I can even count (at least 20). The largest bass was 16.5" and a bit over 2 lbs, and the smallest 12". The largest pickerel was 18+", and there were at least 6-8 of them that were 17+ (I got tired of measuring them). I was fishing the bait like a jerk bait the whole time.

Oh, and on Sunday night, I landed a 20.5" ~5 lb bass on a black spinnerbait. :D

Sorry it's not a fly fishing report, but sometimes I need to use spinning (or in this case baitcasting) tackle too! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
well i am glad to know some of us on here still use spinning gear at times. :hihi: :tsk_tsk: Sounds like a great day, well afternoon i guess. some of you guys are lucky to have your season all ready open. here is a picture i found from a guy in Nova Scotia. not sure if these brookies were caught on fly rod or not though. :roll: these fish were apparently caught this past weekend. all 3 are nice in my books.

nate

Attachments

#3 ·
teflon_jones said:
I took the day off work for some fishing yesterday, and I needed to cover a lot of water since I don't know where the fish are in this 200+ acre lake this time of year. It's all the same depth so they could be anywhere! Plus the wind really blows across this lake a lot, so fly casting from the float tube can get downright dangerous! So, the fly rod was out. I was out for 4 hours in the morning from 6:15-10:15 with not even a strike, but I did get darn cold. I then went back at about 1 pm, and decided to try out a new Rapala shallow shad rap I picked up this winter. Well, I'm glad I did! This is a super weedy lake and there's a ton of pickerel, and I finally left at 6:15 because I was tired of unhooking the slimy little buggers! I only used the one lure all night, and I tallied up 7 bass landed and more pickerel than I can even count (at least 20). The largest bass was 16.5" and a bit over 2 lbs, and the smallest 12". The largest pickerel was 18+", and there were at least 6-8 of them that were 17+ (I got tired of measuring them). I was fishing the bait like a jerk bait the whole time.

Oh, and on Sunday night, I landed a 20.5" ~5 lb bass on a black spinnerbait. :D

Sorry it's not a fly fishing report, but sometimes I need to use spinning (or in this case baitcasting) tackle too! :)
Funny how all those stats couldn't get me as excited as someone saying "I got one nice fish on a fly I tied myself today. My cast was tight for having been a long winter, and it was good to feel spring in the air again".

To each his own I guess.

#4 ·
chromer said:
Funny how all those stats couldn't get me as excited as someone saying "I got one nice fish on a fly I tied myself today. My cast was tight for having been a long winter, and it was good to feel spring in the air again".

To each his own I guess.
Well, I've already done that too! ;) I got 3 fish on flies I tied myself one day last week, right where somebody with live bait hadn't gotten a bite. And the day after that, I hooked a couple more on another fly I had tied based on my success the previous day.

#5 ·
wow, i can only imagine that there must be a greater degree of satisfaction when you catch a nice fish on a fly that you have tied yourself. I know i would be very proud.
last year i noticed a certian fly that was landing on the water while we were getting ready to fly fish. this fly would land on the water, float down through a nice hole and not once did i see any fly of that type get buy that hole before it was taken under buy a trout. our flies we were using did not match up with that certian fly but they still worked well. I remember thinking how cool it would be to go home, and tie a fly to match that one and see what happens. :biggrin:

#6 ·
tying flies

It;s a great thrill catching fish on one;s tied flies.
And it;s a thrill anyone could have. Francis Betters said--"anyone that can tie their shoes can tie flies".
There are many good fly shops and quite a few knowlegdeable people about who could help. Alos the vast number of books with info.
If you have the desire to tie---I suggest looking into trout unlimited or any other org. that offers an insructional class. It;s a lot better to see some thing s done rather than trying to discern from a book. Go for it----but beware -addictions become afflictions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.