Fly Fishing Forum banner

10/20 Cool time at Napatree/Watch Hill

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jared 
#1 ·
. . . because I forgot my waders :eek: . Luckily, the fishing was pretty cool too! :D

Just after I got on the Mass Pike I realized that I had forgotten my waders and wading boots. I considered going back for them, but it would have delayed my arrival time by almost two hours. I decided that I'd just fish the jetties and I'd be ok. Well, there were no fish to be found at Weekapaug, Quonnie or Charlestown so I headed to Watch Hill and planned to fish from the rocks behind the cabanas.

As soon as I reached the top of the dune I saw loads of birds working the surf. I chased them down the beach and plunged into the water in my jeans and sneakers to try to get a cast, but they were moving fast and I couldn't keep up. Then I started seeing fish breaking along the shore. I spent the next hour running up and down the beach in my soggy jeans, but the fish always seemed to move away before I got to them. I finally hooked up with a small blue, which promptly took my fly. I was kind of bummed since I was soaked to the waist and hadn't caught any fish. There were albies, blues and stripers running along the beach and I just could not get anything. I finally made my way down to a group of flycasters who were hooking up repeatedly, even though the fish weren't showing any more. I soon hooked into another small blue and had a couple more brief hook-ups and LDRs before the action stopped.

Cold and hungry, I headed back towards the car. When I got near the jetty I could see boats in close along the beach between the jetty and the lighthouse, and fish were breaking close to shore. I was already soaked so I decided I might as well give it a shot. I hooked up immediately and was bitten off by a blue. Then, for the next hour and a half I had steady action with stripers and a couple more hits from blues. Most of the stripers were small but a couple were in the high 20s. At around 4:00 the action moved back over along Napatree Beach, but I really needed to change into some dry clothes and get some food so I called it quits for the day. Aside from the snafu with the waders it was my best day of fishing since June. :cool:

Q

See less See more
#3 ·
I was on Napatree Beach from about noon until 2:00, then on the beach behind the cabanas (is that Watch Hill beach?) from about 2:00 to 4:00. I was the guy with the soaking wet blue jeans.

Q

#6 ·
JimW said:
Way to go Q. I needed a report like that. I'm going to try to get down there this weekend. Possible yak attack:devil: How's the water temp?
Surprisingly warm. I didn't really get too cold until late afternoon. Of course, the cold doesn't seem to bother me quite as much when I'm catching fish :hehe:

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.