Fly Fishing Forum banner

Proposed changes to Striper Regs 2002!

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bcasey 
#1 ·
Massachusetts Department of Marine Fisheries is proposing for this year (2002) to:

* Increase the recreational striped bass bag and size limit to 2 fish where the first fish must measure at least 28" and the second fish must measure at least 40".
* Increase the commercial quota from 807,000 to 1,000,000 lbs.

They are doing this in an attempt to head off ASMFC's new management plan this fall. CCA-MA has issued an Action Alert. Come to the hearings and voice your concern. Write letters to Diodati. Act now. Paul Diodati, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries 251 Causeway St., Boston, MA 02114; Fax: 617-626-1509

Public hearings are being held next Monday and Tuesday. If you care, please show up.

#2 ·
Ahem!!!

Wanted to raise this back up to the top. Serious stuff for all of us who are MA residents and striped bass aficionados.

Monday night (8/12) hearing - 7-10 pm at the auditorium of the Mass Maritime Academy

Tuesday night (8/13) hearing - 7-10 pm at the Annisquam River Marine Fisheries Station

I'm not a biologist, nor am I a fisheries expert, but I'm absolutely floored that MA is considering such a ridiculous change to our state striper regs - midseason no less w/ little to no advanced warning.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but everyone should try to attend a meeting, write a letter or send a fax. DON'T ACCEPT THIS AS FAIT ACCOMPLI!

:mad:

#4 ·
I know what a 40" striper looks like, and I know angler's don't need that extra fish to make a limit... hmmm I wonder what 103,000 pounds of "extra" striper looks like?

Who comes up with this crap anyway? Ridiculous proposal.

Fax, email or letter today!

I am drafting mine this morning...

#5 ·
How many views of this thread so far?

There's no way they shold increase the recreational limit until the stock has stabilized - and even then at a gradual rate to allow the stock to adjust.

Don't forget that recreational fishermen are responsible for the lions share of killed fish.

The commercial piece needs greater clarification. What kind of commercial fishermen are we talking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.