Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beyond Hope!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  OC 
#1 ·
Why am I going to be beyond Hope tomorrow? :hihi:

#2 ·
Hey Moonlight...

Quote by Moonlight: "Why am I going to be beyond Hope tomorrow?"

I have no idea. My wife tells me all the time that I am behond hope.

#6 · (Edited)
Moonlight said:
Why am I going to be beyond Hope tomorrow? :hihi:
To fish what is supposebly the 3rd lowest run of steelhead on record? Not saying anyone shouldn't-Hopefully (no Pun intended) complacence is not setting in already, especially after a five page discussion, and work will continue to be done to change it. Sometimes open opportunities is a fisheries managers' greatest weapon against anglers, it proves complacence and stops the action.

#7 ·
Rich my thoughts exactly...

I am afraid us writing to complain about the 55 fish cnred in the chum fishery pales in comparison to how many fish will be caught by anglers when this thing opens. Not pointing fingers but is this the right thing to do? Is 1200 a good number?

-sean

#9 ·
I'm such a whore!!!!

My partner and I were well on our way to the secret rendevous by the time Dana posted the good news.
I figured it would be best to limit the exposure of this tragic opening to the sodden masses of Pugetopolis.
Get real there are never going to be enough fish to satisfy everyone but don't get to crazy about the opening it was poorly participated in and as far as I know only two people caught any fish. On the other hand I, as usual, didn't talk to any of the other anglers that were present. The Ministry had personnel in the field and counted a total of 19 anglers on opening day they followed up by interviewing all that they could. We never saw a another angler on Sunday and when we had to leave this morning we saw one lone soul in the Spur and three "Penguins" at Last Chance. Although there was one pair of fellows with rods bristeling from there rooftop that would have made the total fully six anglers
Oh the Humanity.
Give it a rest guys let the Ministry work its fishery and respond in a few weeks when we get a more clear picture of whats happening.
Until then if you go, tight lines and dry firewood!
As to how the fishing was, it was like it always is rough tough and adventurous with incredible streeses on the poor few who were forced to endure the slimy rocks and treacerous wading the keening winds the semi tropical temperatures. Oh yeah that wind was the night we got there not when we were fishing there was no wind when fishing. Probably going to have a hard time duplicating those conditions again this year but we live below Hope around here.

#10 ·
Thank you Moonlight for taking the time post that you WERE going and have now returned. From the first second I read your post title I knew this was going to turn into the 'should ya really be there' attitude.

I ask we not go down this treacherous slippery slope of ethics.

Leland just posted a glowing report about catching a 'wild' 34" steelhead out of the Snake. I did not see any of you jump him for it? He caught a fish that either over-ran it's home river or has not made it to the couple of tribs of the Salmon. When you look at the habitat, harvest, hatcheries, and hydro environment (where this very precious wild B run steelhead has been lucky enough to make it nearly home) you have to understand that this race of fish is in far, Far, FAR more danger of going extinct than any Thompson steelhead. Yet you say nothing about 'should ya'.

Or when Ed posted his catch #'s from this past spring season: Where he caught fish from a few of the highly depressed 'S' rivers.

Sean: You often speak about fishing the Cowlitz. Do you not think the few remaining wild fish of it's tribs are in far worse shape than the T? Yet you continue to ply away. Not pointing fingers.

Or the Sandy Spey Clave. How many fished that river before/during/after? Were you aware that this year's wild winter steelhead run only came in at a reported 800 fish? About 25% of the 10 year average. And that you were also fishing during the timeframe where the few remaining wild summer steelhead ascend the river?

These are just a few points that come to mind.

I say this is a personal choice to make. If the management agencies open the river then it is up to the individual. Great- you don't feel comfortable with fishing the 'T': GREAT don't go. Or go and fish a hookless fly for rises. Or go right ahead and 'safely' hook and release any fish you are lucky enough to catch. Because the last time I checked there are only a handful of rivers on this planet that are running at near historical numbers of fish. That means we are all fishing on depressed runs of varying degrees.

Where does it begin? Where does it end? Most of you pointed out that if the WDFW has deemed the run at 80% of the escapement goal it's OK to fish. Yet everybody knows that the runs are but a mere shadow of what they used to be. BC management has now determined the Thompson escapement will be 1200 fish, or 133% of the minimum required. Why is this any different? Just because it is 1200 fish?

I am sorry but this really irked me.

William

#11 ·
All my question was if they really think 1200 is ok. I do not fish the T so I do not know. All I know is people were running around like headless chickens emailing everyone and thier mother saying we had to write in and stop the netting to save the fish. Then the next week we are fishing. A confusing thing to an outsider.

I think Richs comments echo the thought that the fight is still far from over and just because the runs are 'fishable' does not mean things are OK. Yes it is a personal decision to fish it and I just may fish the T one of these years. I was just looking for more info as I know nothing of the fishery. If you re-read I tried to frame my post as questions, not accusations. I apologize Moonlight if it came off that way and I should have posted this on a different thread.

As far as any wild fish remaining in the cowlitz, yeah right, I have never seen or caught one. :rolleyes: Get real. That river has been long gone as far as saving anything wild in it. It was sacrificed a long time ago.

-sean

#12 ·
Thicker skin has no man...

Hey Sean don't worry about me I am virtually bullet proof when it comes to being insulted. For years I have been in the company of great anglers and philosophers of Germanic and Irish persuassion we take turns being the Devil we don't need an Advocate we go straight to the top guy!

#13 ·
Camp fire light goes just so far.
Deep on the midnight river run the bagpipe's mournful sound plays Requiem.
We know the wail we have herd it throughout the night.
Troubadours, are we the last?
Celebrate the end with respect as each see's fit.

#14 ·
Who said nobody gave Leland a bad time about his Snake post? Heck the needles are still warm in the doll's eyes :lildevl:

I agree it is a personal choice and I certainly understand those that find it awkward that we were fighting aginst the chum fishery last week and fishing this week. I also know it is good I am swamped with both work and home remodel chores or I might be tempted to drive north instead of writing this.

On another issue, given that this is the big election day, let me be the first to say, Here's hoping for four more years
of Thomson returns 50% greater than the year before! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.