Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hope for Winter's Hope?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  silverdoc 
#1 ·
Was reading up on Bill McMillan and his Winter's Hope last night in Trey Combs' Steelhead Fly Fishing. I know it's about as canonical as a fly can get, but I've never fished or tied it. Anyway, it's obviously among the simpler flies, which makes it attractive for my winter steelheading since I tend to lose a lot on the bottom. Anyone use/tie this fly regularly? What's your experience?

#4 ·
Used as Bill intended ,on floating line deeply swung, it's a great pattern and one of the only patterns capable of being fished that way. if it's tied smaller that 2/0 it loses it's intended effectivness because there isn't enough hook weight to sink it.
Used other than as Bill intended it's still a great pattern but if I am fishing a tip there are other patterns i'd rather use.

#6 ·
I have done well on it over the years! I like to use schlapen for the collar hackles, and a topping of green mallard slips for the topping,instead of the olive calf tail. I used to use it on tips , in 2/0 and did well before I went balk to the floating line. I use it in most water colours except crystal clear, then I prefer something softer. My freind Kory uses it as a late fall grease line pattern,in size #2,and1/0 when the water starts cooling down, but is not ready to fish the sunk fly. I have seen it work for that application,also. I alway tease him about it, saying it is not politically correct to use a winters hope,before Dec. 1st Nice looking ,effective , and simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.