Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nantucket 8/31

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  saltRon 
#1 ·
Life on the beach this week has been very up and down, but every day seems to make things a little more active. Saturday we had a great day from the beach, we were getting fish wherever we went, mostly blues but there were a few Bonito mixed in around Great Point. Sunday, everything was the same, including the people out there, except for a slight wind change and nobody saw a thing going on, except the bi plane that had to put down on the Galls with engine problems. I had a couple of down days so I went out exploring on my own. I ended up cruising along the waters edge looking for busting blues all during the mid day hours. Yesterday I worked with a 2 handed fly rod which allowed me to pick up 80' of line and drop it 30' to the right into a pod of busting blues for a hookup. Since I haven't bought myself a new rod since last year, I ordered one this morning, I was sold. The last couple of days things have heated up out in Great Point rip right around high tide with schools of blues and stripers moving right in close to shore. My trip this morning was a teaching trip but I did see a couple of guys throwing "Deadly Dicks" land a Blue, Bonito, Spanish Mackerel, and 2 Sea Robins all in a matter of minutes. I also spotted a school of albies blowing by us just after I had cast out over them but we did manage to get a fly in front of them for a strike. I also heard stories of some good sized stripers being landed along the South shore right around sunset, but you had to check every hole and fish carefully to get them.
The boats are still doing very well out off the west end on the flats and rips for stripers, The Bonito Bar is still producing very well for the boats, and the south shore and east side are holding some very large Bluefish also. As I mention the Bar, one of the boats landed an incredible number of bones last Sunday on one trip, a number so large that if I mention it you'll all say I making up fish stories. In the strnge land of tunoid fishing, the captain of that boat called over a friend of his to withing 30' of his boat, casting the same lures his friend didn't hook any fish. Does that seem strnge to anyone but me?
All the advice for anyone coming out here to fish off the beach is to keep your eyes open and be ready for anything, things really seem to be kicking into gear out here....

See less See more
#4 ·
I ordered a Scott SAS 13'9 wt. rod. I had a Scott and T&T rod to play with and of the 2 the Scott felt best to me, remember that everyone casts different so get your hands on as many as you can before you order one. Besides it was about $420 compared to the $650 for the T&T, I do have to keep price in mind somewhat. I did a little work with one of the older famous saltwater fly casters earlier this summer and that is the rod he prefers also. Try all of them and have fun with it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.