Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter wading shoes....

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  extmtbiker 
#1 ·
Winter wading on GL tribs is tough. Snow, ice, shelf ice, etc. make footwear selection important to keep from taking a spill, or worse. And I received a nice pair as a late Christmas gift (from me to me!) I normally don't recommend gear. But this is one choice I'm comfortable with. Safety is important.

OK, I've tested 'em long and hard. For winter wading shoes, get a pair of wading shoes with Aqua-stealth studded soles. They work GREAT on shelf ice, bottom ice, slush, snow, etc. I never have felt so sure footed when scrambling down banks, on slick stream bottoms, etc. Best part of it is they don't accumulate snow and ice like studded felt - you know, the kind that makes you 10 feet tall when you walk 50 yards.Comfortable to walk in, too. Just make sure you get a pair a size or two too big so you can wear a couple of pairs of socks, and don't lace 'em too tight (or you will get cold feet). Plus, no straps to come loose at inopportune moments like cleated "sandals" (like Korkers for example).

My pair are made by LL Bean, but I understand that other manufacturers also produce 'em. If you are looking for a pair of
good winter wading shoes (good for summer, too!), consider Aqua-stealth studded soled boots. A little pricey, but well worth it.

BobK

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.