Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ostrich Herl Clouser

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CRegalis 
#1 ·
Not sure if its been done before...but here's my Snowy Day Special.

1. Tie in 4-5 Olive Ostrich Herl pieces at bend.
2. Top with 3 strands gold, 3 strands pearl krystal flash.
3. Top with small clump of light olive bucktail.
4. Add eyes Clouser Style.
5. Tie in clump of krystal flash at bend of hook and wrap over body to eyes at front.
6. Flip fly over and add a clump of chartruese, light blue, and darker olive either blended or in layers to front.
7. Finish fly and add some superglue!

I'm picturing the gill plates flaring during the inhale of an unlucky bass on the flats this spring swallowing it whole!!

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Very Nice profile

Like the fly very much!
Have you fished these before? I tried Ostrich in the past but have not found it very durable, in fact very low "durability", I still use it because of the profile it gives in the water. Just curious in case you have some "new" type of Ostrich?

#6 ·
Not field tested yet...I'm sure they won't last through more than a couple bluefish, but bass don't seem to kill my flies too fast. We'll see.

As far as the Wrapping krystal flash, I just tye in the full length flash at the bend of the hook. I place some superglue on the fly along the shank of the hook and secure the thread at the eye of the hook. I then wrap the krystal flash around the shank just like you would chenelle or body braid. A couple times around the eyes to cover the thread on the dumbells and then I secure it off. Its basically a lazy man's body braid. The superglue holds the flash in place if it gets cut anywhere along the shank by a fish or rocks on a backcast ;) . I do like this technique though, because as the flash gets worn, it kind of puffs up like a chenille body.

Hope that helps,
Nick

#7 ·
Krystal Flash Body

Thanks Nick, it does. It wasn't clear from the picture and I hadn't thought of using Krystal Flash for that application. I suppose any form of flash, like Flashabou, or a bodybraid could also be used. I'll experiment.

(And of course, it goes without saying, that almost nothing is "bluefish-proof".) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.