Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip 7-11

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Mike and I made a trip to the rip on Sunday and fished from shore from about 8:30am to 3:30pm. Long story short - just a few micros and blues to show for the effort. I hadn't been down there in two years and unless I'm mistaken the rip has moved. We found two rips close to shore - one on the western part of the tip and one on the eastern part of the tip. The one on the eastern side of the tip was THICK with seals and thouroghly unfishable because of it. The one on the western side was thick with highly annoying, goopy, micro mung.

While the catching wasn't so good the fishing was great - it always is.

#3 ·
South Monomoy Rips

I was dowm there on 7/10 from 5:00 am to 10:00 am. We fished some rips on the east side about 1/4 mile off shore of the Island. There is a shoal there that caused a real nice rip to form. I do not know the name of the shoal, but there where a lot of boats that show up around 6:00am on. We got into some nice fish I think all tolled it was 8 fish boated. I saw Jim W. and Roop out there, with Jim and his boat mate fishing beside us for a while. I saw Jim's friend land a real nice fish. Is there a name for this shoal that anyone is aware of?

We did go over to the south tip rip to see if we could get a few blues for a friend that was on my boat but no luck.

We went to the South tip rip the week before and fished from shore like Gregg and Mike did and got into a lot of blues, I think we only caught 3/4 stripers and they were all shorts. We timed it so the rip was right against the beach and the blues were in the rip real thick, a fish on almost every cast.

#7 ·
Craig, didn't mean to anchor so close but it seemed to work out well. That is some scary water when you're looking at it from a low transom.
We found some smaller bass inside the tub ~11, many follows but no hookups.

I have a good feeling about the rip, there are big fish in there, if you're there for the right 6hours it's going to happen. I remember one trip Domenic was hooking up using a 450 when the 300 wasn't getting nearly as much action.
those monster fly rods should help put it in the zone from shore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.