Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line storage

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kennebecfly 
#1 ·
I would like some ideas on how some of you are storeing your fly lines for the winter ....unfortunately here in central maine its about that time:mad:

#2 ·
Since Rio improved their spools, I save them all. With the locking mechanism just drop the leader into the groove, snap and lock, then spool it up.

A good wash and dressing will make them su-weet next spring.

I know guys who store them on the fire station hose tower to keep them straight! Also, another who uses those telephone co. spools to make the loops bigger. I just use the first big fish to pull the line in the spring :devil:

Fat lady? Nah Rhody's just turning on!

#5 ·
I clean them and then wind them in large loops -- hand to elbow-- use twist ties that you find in the bulk candy section of the supermarket to hold the loops together. You can write all the info about the line on the twist tie. I then hang them over a clothes hanger in my closet. In the Spring I smooth out any twisting as per the instructions from Rio, treat them if necessary and wind them on the reel. Works for me.

#6 ·
What are you guys using to wash the lines?

How often to you wash your lines per season?

I use a little ivory dishsoap in cold water and swish around in a bucket. Then rinse with freshwater.

I know some people use rags or cleaning pads, etc as well.

I am asking because I have had a hell of a time keeping my freshwater floating lines in good shape over the last couple of years. They do get a lot of use but I should be getting more than a season out of a "premium" 4wt line that really doesn't take much abuse.

TIA

:D

#7 ·
"Ivory dishsoap" is not "soap", its a detergent. All line manufacturers ask that detergents not be used to clean their lines. As far as I can tell -- and this is the result of more research than a sane person should admit to -- the only readily available "soap" is Ivory bar soap. Ivory "Snow" and Ivory "Flakes" used to be nothing more than the bar soap in granulated or flaked form, respectively, but now they too are detergents.

That having been said, I carry a bar of Ivory soap in a plastic bag in my fishing kit. When I want to wash my line, I put some warm water in the sink, slosh the bar of soap around in the water until I think there is enough to get the job done, put the line in the sink and wash it with a clean, soaked cloth. I then put clear water in the sink and rinse the line in the same way, dry it and, if the manufacturer suggests it for their line, treat it with "Glide" or pure silicon (Rio's product is called "Poo Goo"). SA's lines with the AST finish should be washed, but not treated with anything. Never use Armorall on any flyline.

Those are my $0.02.

#8 ·
I "wash" my line with a cloth with silicone shoe protector spayed on the rag. I keep the rag in a baggy in my fishing vest. I leave my lines on the reel and store them in my rod closet.
Salt water guys may have a different approach to deal with the effect of salt!
Depending on the water you fish and how much "gunk" is in the water and on the surface film, washing is done more or less frequently. On dirty water, I clean my lines after each outing.
Also, any given line, after more than 70 days (?) of use will need replacement, for me that means not more than 2 years on average. Sooner for the lines that I use from my boat since I invariably step on them more than I would like to admit..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.