Fly Fishing Forum banner

A new shrimp pattern I've been working on...

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Luv2flyfish 
#1 ·
As requested, I'm posting a pic and basic instruction on tying this new shrimp pattern.

The pattern is still in development but here are the basic tying instructions...

ULTIMATE SHRIMP

HOOK...Mustad 34007 SS (tied in size 4 & 6 so far)...hook must be bent into the "Bendback" style...also...the point of hook is slightly bent into a "baitholder" configuration (should improve grabbing and holding power of bendback config.)

EYES...burnt mono

ANTENNAE...stripped grizzly hackle or Krystal Flash strands

MOUTH PARTS...small short bunch of craft fur

LEGS...Hungarian Partridge (pale speckled) stripped and palmered (two wraps only)...hackle bunched and wrapped into position under eyes before epoxying.

THORAX and TAIL...epoxy applied in two stages...Thorax first till set...then Tail (to achieve segmentations on tail sections...a single firm wrap of 3/O tying thread over epoxy when almost completely set...no knots required as thread impregnates epoxy and stays locked in).

TAILFAN (optional)...latex cut to shape.

NOTE:

I mix my epoxy (on waxed paper) then draw a little scribble of colour with permanant marker beside the epoxy blob and immediately blend it in with the epoxy...works great.

Regards,

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Henry... I hope marshrunner sees this (Dick Brown). I think you have done a great job on this shrimp.... the legs and feelers are perfect as is the body.... I will tye some up and I suspect that these will be ideal on the Monomoy Flats as well as down south.

#6 ·
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the comments. I've tested the fly to see how it rides in one of my aquariums. The first prototype tended to lay on it's side as I had too much leg dressing (partridge hackles) the craft fur mouth parts were attached too horizontally to the axis of the fly causing the fly to want to tip over. By skimping on the legs (ended up being more realistic anyways) and giving the shrimp mouth parts and antennae an attachment point 1/3 the way into the hook bend...it caused the later versions of the fly to parashoot upright...BINGO!

I expect the fly wont be very stealthy being primarily made of epoxy...It's my hope that the likely loud plop it makes will be counteracted by it's increased attractiveness to fish due to it's realistic profile.

I don't think adding a weed guard (mono loop or otherwise) would hurt the ride or profile of the fly at all. It actually should be reasonably weedless anyways as it's tied in the bendback style (my original goal with this fly...in part inspired by Popovics Ultra Shrimp...thereby the similarity in the flies name). Tying up some with weedguards is on my "to do" list.

I've lately been experimenting tying the fly in different sizes and have successfully gotten it down to a size 8 and up to a size 1.

Thanks for your encouragement and interest,

Henry

#7 ·
Shrimp pattern (floating)

Henry,

this shrimp pattern is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, especially as it rides up-side-down. I will definitely tye some.

In general: I was wondering about good looking shrimp patterns which float, in order to fish them just over structures and weedbeds with an intermediate line.

Anyone any good patterns ?

AdrianV

#8 ·
Hello Adrian,

Thanks for your comments and interest in my fly. I've not yet had the need for a floating shrimp fly so I can't really offer much advice. Short of fishing a standard sinking shrimp in combination with a floating strike indicator, the only other option I can see is tying something up using deer body hairs or perhaps even creating the shrimp back with craft foam...yeah!...that would work.

Good fishing,

Henry

#10 ·
Floating shrimp

Thanks guys for your replies,

Using deer hair as in the Bomber Shrimp is a sure possibility which I will still try.
First I tried using foam, underneath a (not too thick) layer of epoxy. With the thin sheets of foam it did not work, the buoyancy is not enough to make it float. It does swirl very naturally though as it becomes about weightless. When I used a cylinder of foam (regularly used for boobies) the buoyancy was o.k. Step 2 was to simplify the pattern in order to be able to tie them fast enough but still have it looking catchy. I don't like flies on which I had to spend more time tying it then being able to fish with, it holds you down on risky casts/spots (where in general you will find the better ones) I have enclosed a picture of it, showing it’s buoyancy. Now it should be possible to present the fly just above the bottom. By twitching it it will move closer to the bottom and vice versa.
Unfortunately it will take some time before I will be able to try it: sea bass, as stripers, move out of our region into The Channel during winter. As soon as I have any results I will mention it.

AdrianV

Attachments

#11 ·
Hey Adrian,

That sure is a nice looking fly. I'm just so happy folks are getting involved restyling my pattern and reworking it to suit their particular needs. Hopefully my Ultimate Shrimp was just the seed that will sprout a whole new generation of shrimp imitations. You know? they also work for steelhead/trout...I got an 8lb hen a week ago on it. I bet she thought it was a crayfish.

Good fishing/tying,

Henry

#13 ·
Henry - that is an awesome tie. You are "Da Man!" To further in your research of your great new pattern - I will GLADLY utilize some of them during the Ridiculous Clave. I'd be honored to assist in the research, futher development, and Bone Fishability of this fly. :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.